Do you are with labours' initiative to get 50% of students into higher education? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Nik P
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I think it is an unwise decision, we need to keep university for those that deserve it, not for everyone... it only cheapens degrees and lowers standards... fewer students = better teaching and support
Dr. Blazed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A silly question if ever there was one.
Nik P
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Heh, should read... "Do you agree"
dave134
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nik P)
I think it is an unwise decision, we need to keep university for those that deserve it, not for everyone... it only cheapens degrees and lowers standards... fewer students = better teaching and support
I agree that the target needs scrapping, but after seeing how people reacted to the A-level standards thread I don't think today is the best day for this debate. With results panic in full swing its only human that people take such threads personally.
Wise One
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's a ludicrous target. 50% of people don't want to go into Higher Education. What % of people carry on with study after GCSE's?
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's ridiculous because people should want to go to uni because they have a passion for a subject and want to study it for three years, not because there parents think it is the logical place for a middle-class kid to go after sixth form.

MB
LifeWired
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Another example of meaningless target setting by New Labour.
Acaila
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hear hear.
You'll need a degree to work in McDonalds in a few years :rolleyes:
LifeWired
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Acaila)
Hear hear.
You'll need a degree to work in McDonalds in a few years :rolleyes:
There goes my last career option.
This government has done me no good it seems :rolleyes:
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Isn't it already 40%?
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i think labour should be voted out...but then, the cons are just as bad...the political system sucks!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
http://www.dfes.gov.uk/hegateway/str...y/expand.shtml

in 2000 we were at 46%
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
http://www.dfes.gov.uk/hegateway/str...y/expand.shtml

in 2000 we were at 46%
that is ridiculous...what are people getting degrees in? :confused: cutting hair?
LifeWired
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
i think labour should be voted out...but then, the cons are just as bad...the political system sucks!
Therein lies a sad truth. There isn't really a major political party that I feel I could vote for and not waste a vote . It's turning into an American style system where all you're voting for is 'Who has the best haircut' or 'Who's tallest'. It's great, maybe vienna should run for Downing Street, I'd vote...tragically but still.
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by LifeWired)
Therein lies a sad truth. There isn't really a major political party that I feel I could vote for and not waste a vote . It's turning into an American style system where all you're voting for is 'Who has the best haircut' or 'Who's tallest'. It's great, maybe vienna should run for Downing Street, I'd vote...tragically but still.
the american system is a joke...
Greyhound01
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
We have got to that stage where having a degree is par for the course, but sadly some delusional people just expect to walk into a well paid job just because they have a degree. I think this programme on channel 4 "that'll teach em" is so interesting because it shows how people who weren't academically gifted were properly prepared for life and given the skills to get jobs, rather than trying to push them through university under a false illusion that they will thrive afterwards. Now the education system is failing pupils with average/ below average academic ability because they get a degree, go to the job centre and get nothing, then shrug their shoulders and wonder why they did it. It's not fair on them, and not fair on the "real student" who studies a good subject at a good university because their degree is diluted by these inferior degrees.

It's typical of old Labour, so obsessed on getting "working class" kids into university that they have forgotten that universities SHOULD discrimintate, based on ability! They've taken their eye off the ball totally.
Insatiable
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Greyhound01)
It's typical of old Labour, so obsessed on getting "working class" kids into university that they have forgotten that universities SHOULD discrimintate, based on ability! They've taken their eye off the ball totally.
We had Phyllis Starkey in school a few months ago and I tried to make that exact point to her, but there's just no point: it simply falls on deaf ears. Personally I think it's ridiculous - on one hand we have people complaining that about half the population lacks basic literacy and numeracy skills, while on the other we have the government insisting that half the population should be in further education. No wonder universities lack funding when we have institutions educating people who barely managed to cope with sixth form. It might sound cruel, but some people just aren't suited to academic study.
undercover-ange
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It is an absolutely ridiculous idea...I hate our government! Rather than doing proper things to help the economy of our country they do easy things to get fast statistical results so it looks like they're helping when they're not! Encouraging a ridiculous amount of people to stay in education as long as possible just makes unemployment figures look lower as people don't get a proper job until they're in their twenties. But with a degree in something like sociology from a not particularly good university, nobody will employ them!
I was watching a tv programme a while ago and they were saying that degrees don't mean anything any more so companies are increasingly feeling the need to make their own tests to choose who to employ.
Now, people are having to pay loads to go to university so it is no longer the most academically able who go....it's the people who can afford it. x
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Don't forget this includes HNC, HNDS, foundation degrees etc. A lot of these are not studied at university but in HE colleges or even FE ones.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
that is ridiculous...what are people getting degrees in? :confused: cutting hair?
http://www.derby.ac.uk/prospectus/ug...ils.asp?Id=628 - Yes :rolleyes: (spot the typo)

Which 5 muppets said yes in this poll? Explain yuself.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.6%
No (737)
72.4%

Watched Threads