Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you are with labours' initiative to get 50% of students into higher education? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Was tempted to go with too stuuupid to think But had to go with no - getting 50% of peeps into uni with make a mockery of our degree system, make them more worthless than A-levels (sorry guys) and damage our economy. Too many graduates is NEVER a good thing - look at India!

ReputationRep:
    *Grumble*

A fair few of you seem to be under the misconception that 'Higher Education' means university. As AT said, it involves all sorts of other qualifications.

If people staying on at some sort of higher education institution means they're better qualified to do their job, what's the problem with that? Surely it's going to benefit you with a higher standard of services? Perhaps it'll cut down on some shoddy unregulated industries, such as building (i.e. you employ a builder on the basis of some sort of qualification, reducing the risks of getting involved with a so called 'cowboy').

50% is not an unrealistic target. In an economy which is increasingly based on service industries, as apposed to industries which involve getting your hands dirty, it's advantageous to national prosperity to have a highly skilled work force. If you look at the stats, you'll notice a many Baltic states have high levels of people in Higher Education - countries, renowned for high standards of living.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    http://www.derby.ac.uk/prospectus/ug...ils.asp?Id=628 - Yes :rolleyes: (spot the typo)

Which 5 muppets said yes in this poll? Explain yuself.
    studetn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    *Grumble*

A fair few of you seem to be under the misconception that 'Higher Education' means university. As AT said, it involves all sorts of other qualifications.

If people staying on at some sort of higher education institution means they're better qualified to do their job, what's the problem with that? Surely it's going to benefit you with a higher standard of services? Perhaps it'll cut down on some shoddy unregulated industries, such as building (i.e. you employ a builder on the basis of some sort of qualification, reducing the risks of getting involved with a so called 'cowboy').

50% is not an unrealistic target. In an economy which is increasingly based on service industries, as apposed to industries which involve getting your hands dirty, it's advantageous to national prosperity to have a highly skilled work force. If you look at the stats, you'll notice a many Baltic states have high levels of people in Higher Education - countries, renowned for high standards of living.
    Then why get rid of the Polys? They did their job! Plus the whole 1999 University Act has ****ed up our education system so much it is untrue. The Unis get more funding for people enroled on a degree, therefore they are going to push people into degree courses when they might be better suited to a HND/HNC/whatever.

The system is not geared towards an all encompasing 'higher' education - the whole thing is a piss take!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    studetn
    Lol hadn't seen that, I was referring to "Haridressing"

Who's Hari?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Then why get rid of the Polys? They did their job! Plus the whole 1999 University Act has ****ed up our education system so much it is untrue. The Unis get more funding for people enroled on a degree, therefore they are going to push people into degree courses when they might be better suited to a HND/HNC/whatever.

The system is not geared towards an all encompasing 'higher' education - the whole thing is a piss take!
    However the amount of degree places has been capped for the next 10 years, so any expansion in higher education won't be at degree level.

ReputationRep:
    However the amount of degree places has been capped for the next 10 years, so any expansion in higher education won't be at degree level.
    No - it's specifically been set at the post-graduate level - so no more HNC etc places either...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    *Grumble*

In an economy which is increasingly based on service industries.
    A bit off topic, but the government apparently thought too many jobs were in service industries so they reclassified jobs in places like mcdonalds ("making burgers") as manufacturing/primary sector jobs so the figures look better. Can't remember where I read that but it's another reason to hate our government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)

Yes dude but with the 50% target instead of seeing a notable rise in people gaining relevant skills for their occupation, we're seeing 20 times more Media Studies students than there are Media-related jobs, universities (and HE institutions) with far too many places desperate to take on anyone just for funding, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Then why get rid of the Polys? They did their job!
    Might have just been a sign that there weren't enough institutions offering degrees, rather than Polys not doing their job. Unfortunately they weren't replaced with equivalents. Perhaps a better tactic would've been to build some entirely new universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    http://www.derby.ac.uk/prospectus/ug...ils.asp?Id=628 - Yes :rolleyes: (spot the typo)

Which 5 muppets said yes in this poll? Explain yuself.
    It is a stupid target obviously, far too many graduates as it is. I cant believe degree in hairdressing, what a joke, no offence to anyone studying hairdressing at this said 'university'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sm0273)
    It is a stupid target obviously, far too many graduates as it is. I cant believe degree in hairdressing, what a joke, no offence to anyone studying hairdressing at this said 'university'.
    Obviously society wants/needs hairdressers and they need to be qualified. Just don't turn them into degrees which they study at universities!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Obviously society wants/needs hairdressers and they need to be qualified. Just don't turn them into degrees which they study at universities!
    Exactly. I support the initiative of 50% in higher education in theory, but I suppose it's too idealistic of me to expect it to be implemented properly.

ReputationRep:
    i studi hairdressing don't dish it ok, i woked hard to go to ubs and study it. they say when i leave i might get a job down Peters Salon in peckham hi street.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unistudnet)
    i studi hairdressing don't dish it ok, i woked hard to go to ubs and study it. they say when i leave i might get a job down Peters Salon in peckham hi street.
    Did you do further maths and step papers? sorry, couldnt resist.

ReputationRep:
    Did you do further maths and step papers? sorry, couldnt resist.
    Somebody is pulling your leg mate

http://www.cynical*******s.com/ubs/

ReputationRep:
    The present government especially appears to be obsessed with target-setting. It's a load of burocratic rubbish and rarely achieves anything which wouldn't have been done anyway.

We had a talk from a woman with this sort of attitude before the start of the exam season. She went on about putting down our goals in little circles and figting the "confidence-destroying monsters" inside us. Everyone else seemed to be taking her seriously, while I sat there close to pissing myself. Biggest waste of an hour I spent in school all year.

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't really be posting this as do not have enough time to read/reply to previous and future posts.

I DO think 50% is a good target. BUT, I believe these things need to be sorted:

* Law places need to be cut for demand. If TVU isn't going to make any lawyers it shouldn't have the degree course. It's a waste of time and money.
    * I feel that degree courses should lead on to specific jobs so that the graduate unemployment is low.
    * People who say 'no' to the 50% mark must consider where all our teachers and doctors are going to come from. Let's face it the brightest students have other career ideas with more cash and status in. Personally I feel that their should be lots of places for say, Education and Geography, so that people know they will get on a course and are going to get a job at the end of it.
    * Rather than people just going on any course to go to university, we would be much better off having a prestigous course in plumbing etc., at least we'd get a graduate we need.

ReputationRep:
    Somebody is pulling your leg mate

http://www.cynical*******s.com/ubs/
    Oh lol, ive been to that before I few times so I should have known. Surely anyone wouldn't of been serious and said that anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    * I feel that degree courses should lead on to specific jobs so that the graduate unemployment is low.
    Should we get rid of History, Classics, Theology, Philosophy etc then, where over 90% of graduates go into completely unrelated professions?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.