The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship or college

I'm currently doing my AS levels and I am enjoying them but I really hate the fact that I can never see my friends and I am constantly run down all the time and I just get home and my days feel so repetitive. I have been looking at apprenticeships and I don't know if to stay at college or go for an apprenticeship. I am currently achieving
Geology: A/B
Geography: A
History: C
Reply 1
What would you do an apprenticeship in? Do you have anything in mind?
Reply 2
Original post by Tubbz
What would you do an apprenticeship in? Do you have anything in mind?

I have found a civil engineering apprenticeship in the Leeds which is really close to me. I was looking to go into geoengineering eventually after university but civil engineering also interests me
Reply 3
Original post by wilson27
I have found a civil engineering apprenticeship in the Leeds which is really close to me. I was looking to go into geoengineering eventually after university but civil engineering also interests me

So what qualifications do you need to get on this apprenticeship? What qualifications will you achieve if you undertake it? Are you going in to a skilled job, which will put a glass ceiling in place, or will you be going into a job that will allow you to progress?
Reply 4
Original post by Tubbz
So what qualifications do you need to get on this apprenticeship? What qualifications will you achieve if you undertake it? Are you going in to a skilled job, which will put a glass ceiling in place, or will you be going into a job that will allow you to progress?

The company says they would like basic GCSE's A-C (which I have) and A levels preferably STEM subjects (which I guess I Shen with geology) and then it seems like a company where I could progress, they seem to have their fingers in a lot of pies, work for airports, councils, energy and many more
Reply 5
The company says they would like basic GCSE's A-C (which I have) and A levels preferably STEM subjects (which I guess I Shen with geology) and then it seems like a company where I could progress, they seem to have their fingers in a lot of pies, work for airports, councils, energy and many more

Well there's your answer, you need to stay at college to get your A-levels if you want to apply for that apprenticeship.

I don't see any of your subjects as STEM, but they may feel differently, or take you based on interview.
Reply 6
Original post by Tubbz
Well there's your answer, you need to stay at college to get your A-levels if you want to apply for that apprenticeship.

I don't see any of your subjects as STEM, but they may feel differently, or take you based on interview.

After reading through more they said completed first year of college, so I guess I could go for it after these exams
Reply 7
After reading through more they said completed first year of college, so I guess I could go for it after these exams

That's when to apply, they will make you an offer in the same way a university would on predicted grades, I don't think you'll be able to drop out and start with just AS levels.

So I would interpret that as apply when you complete your first year, to start the following September, which is the norm for this level of apprenticeship. If you have a link, I can take a better look.
Reply 8
Original post by Tubbz
That's when to apply, they will make you an offer in the same way a university would on predicted grades, I don't think you'll be able to drop out and start with just AS levels.

So I would interpret that as apply when you complete your first year, to start the following September, which is the norm for this level of apprenticeship. If you have a link, I can take a better look.

https://jobs.aecom.com/TGWebHost/jobdetails.aspx?jobId=1146353&PartnerId=20052&SiteId=5022&utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Indeed&codes=IN-IND

There you go, thank you so much
Reply 9

Sounds like they'll take GCSE/AS/A-level leavers, so you're pretty much good to go. I'm not sure how they'll view your AS levels, like I said before, I don't really see any of those as STEM subjects. I'd suggest applying for it, but don't leave college until you're accepted.

Quick Reply

Latest