Nottingham vs Lancaster for Mathematics Watch

username1214428
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Which university should I go to? Nottingham or Lancaster.
Luke7456
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My personal opinion is Nottingham but I wont be applying to Lancaster anyway because their admissions line never picks up. I really like Nottingham's course.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by VictoriaCoolio)
Which university should I go to? Nottingham is ranked 13.5 over the past 10 years whereas Lancaster is ranked 14.5 over the past 10 years. Nottingham has some compulsory mechanics in the first year which I'm not so sure how I feel about that yet since I got 78ums in m1 and 91ums in m2 and I'll be taking m3,m4 and m5 next year for my Additional Further Mathematics A level. Nottingham has a better nightlife. Nottingham has a bigger Christian Union with around 200 people whereas Lancaster has around 30 people. Nottingham is higher ranked internationally (101-150) and Lancaster is (251-300). Nottingham is slightly more expensive to live in than Lancaster. Lancaster is further away from my house. They both ask for the same entry requirements for me which is A in Further Mathematics because I finished my A levels and took a gap year. But Nottingham has slightly higher entrance requirements in general. Nottingham has a higher academic reputation overall. Nottingham has more people.
Ranking is pointless for Maths, as it really doesn't reflect teaching standards for each department (plus majority of the unis asking for the same/similar grades are pretty identical.

Have a look at the course structure: Nottingham's course focuses more on applied Maths, but you'll learn the same thing overall (except for 3rd yr which the range of options is different). One big difference is that Nottingham is a city, whereas Lancaster uni is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, so ask yourself which would you prefer.

Nottingham is actually quite cheap if you look at the right places, plus a lot of opportunities for part time jobs if you need one (I live there, and got quite a lot of friends who applied there due to financial reasons).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?