The Student Room Group

Options?

HI!

I turn 18 in a few days, and I'm left wondering about my options due to my circumstances.

Without delving too deep, I suffer from mental illnesses and have been out of any kind of education for the past year -- in fact, I basically been housebound for a year.

Now I'm in a much better state of mind, but despite that, I'm left feeling hopeless. Due to my health issues flying under the radar for most of my school life, I came out with horrible GCSEs -- and I never had the chance to attend sixth form.

I'm an academically inclined person, and I was always predicted as a straight a student -- so I suppose you could say I had aspirations of going to a great uni. However, with horrible GCSEs and no a levels... I'm unsure of exactly what I can even do to gain admission to a great uni.

I would really appreciate it if any of you could give me suggestions as to what I can do to get myself on track. Thank you!
Original post by matao
HI!

I turn 18 in a few days, and I'm left wondering about my options due to my circumstances.

Without delving too deep, I suffer from mental illnesses and have been out of any kind of education for the past year -- in fact, I basically been housebound for a year.

Now I'm in a much better state of mind, but despite that, I'm left feeling hopeless. Due to my health issues flying under the radar for most of my school life, I came out with horrible GCSEs -- and I never had the chance to attend sixth form.

I'm an academically inclined person, and I was always predicted as a straight a student -- so I suppose you could say I had aspirations of going to a great uni. However, with horrible GCSEs and no a levels... I'm unsure of exactly what I can even do to gain admission to a great uni.

I would really appreciate it if any of you could give me suggestions as to what I can do to get myself on track. Thank you!

Hi, do you have any idea what you would like to do at uni? Access Courses are an option. They're a one year course and are used to gain access to unis. But not every uni will accept them.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
Hi, do you have any idea what you would like to do at uni? Access Courses are an option. They're a one year course and are used to gain access to unis. But not every uni will accept them.

Hi! Thank you for responding.

Yes, I have some kind of idea. I mainly would like to focus on humanities, but to be more specific I would say law.
Reply 3
Bumping this in fear it was buried. I apologise if I bumped this too soon.
It's likely you will have to go to a sixth form college/regular college to get some a levels. You could also look into how things work with foundation years. If you want to do law, you can add a conversion year to your degree if you do, say, history, but you'd have to look into that one a little more. A good way to get started would be to talk to an admissions department, probably for a local uni, or talk to admissions at a sixth form college about your ambitions.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 5
I did a humanities access course with law and I'm going to the University of Manchester in September so I'd say that would be the best option however some collages only accept those 19 and over on the course, that being said you really don't need to worry yourself since you're not even 18 yet, there's plenty of time for you to get things in order. I was in a pretty similar situation to yourself a couple years back, I've written a post going over my journey to University, I think it could help you out if you gave it a read; here.
Reply 6
Original post by LiamHolt
I did a humanities access course with law and I'm going to the University of Manchester in September so I'd say that would be the best option however some collages only accept those 19 and over on the course, that being said you really don't need to worry yourself since you're not even 18 yet, there's plenty of time for you to get things in order. I was in a pretty similar situation to yourself a couple years back, I've written a post going over my journey to University, I think it could help you out if you gave it a read; here.

Hi!

Wow, props to you for going through all of that and coming out the way you have. I see what you're saying -- and I'd most likely want to start September 2018 time. I've always wanted to study in London, mainly due to a couple family members studying law at King's. Thank you for replying!
Original post by matao
HI!

I knew someone who went through something similar. They went to a local college did one year of GCSE's (you need 5 A-C to get into most universities) and then you can do an access course or 2 years of A Levels. It will take you a while to do but if you want to go to university it will definitely be worth it.
Original post by Tiger Rag

Id definitely recommend an access course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending