The Student Room Group

Did the Labour Party really "overspend" in office?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bornblue
They were knowingly giving out mortgages to people who would never be able to pay them back. They were knowingly tricking people by giving out teaser rate mortgages. They knew these mortgages were utter garbage but they sold them on anyway. They knew plenty of people would lose their homes, they couldn't care less.

Didnt say otherwise.

Are you really, really, saying there is no conflict in interest about the fact ratings agencies are paid by the same people they are rating?

They should be independent bodies which do not receive funding from the firms that they are rating.

No, there's a mutual interest, both want to maximise profit. Economics 101

True, but with the political power of banks like goldman sachs that will never happen.
Original post by kennyy god
Didnt say otherwise.

No, there's a mutual interest, both want to maximise profit. Economics 101

True, but with the political power of banks like goldman sachs that will never happen.

That's exactly my point.

We shouldn't allow corporations to become more powerful than governments. That's my real issue with libertarianism, it just turns into corporatism.

The financial crash was a colossal failure of the financial servies sector as whole yet they paid almost no price for it.
Reply 82
Original post by zero766
This is my problem with Tory supporters (not saying you are one). Complaining about the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, which weren't justified - sure. But then look at Cameron, who authorized military action in Syria in 2013. Both as bad as each other and seeing as Cameron's premiership came after Blair's, you'd think he'd take advantage of that and learn from the mistakes made.

The strikes in Syria are completely different from the wars in Irak and Afghanistan. There is no ground forces in Syria.

Cameron learnt from Blair's mistakes, precisely.
Original post by Josb
The strikes in Syria are completely different from the wars in Irak and Afghanistan. There is no ground forces in Syria.

Cameron learnt from Blair's mistakes, precisely.

It's not about ground forces. It's about adding more flames (military intervention) to the fire (the corrupt/divided country) is only going to make things worse.
Reply 84
That's exactly my point.

We shouldn't allow corporations to become more powerful than governments. That's my real issue with libertarianism, it just turns into corporatism.

The financial crash was a colossal failure of the financial servies sector as whole yet they paid almost no price for it.

Banks paid colossal fines in the USA.

"In all, the fines and settlements amount to $204 billion paid out through 175 settlements since 2009. The actual number is probably higher, though, as KBW only tracks settlements exceeding $100 million. Since March, the total has grown from $187 billion and the case total expanded from 140."

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/30/misbehaving-banks-have-now-paid-204b-in-fines.html

They paid much less in the EU though.
Reply 85
Original post by zero766
It's not about ground forces. It's about adding more flames (military intervention) to the fire (the corrupt/divided country) is only going to make things worse.

The things are getting worse by themselves. British influence in Syria is almost non-existent.
Original post by Josb
The things are getting worse by themselves. British influence in Syria is almost non-existent.

So a civil war in Syria with British air strikes introduced into the mix doesn't make anything worse? Aha.. yep... you keep telling yourself that I guess lol
That's exactly my point.

True, corporatism is a dangerous side effect of capitalism and free markets in general. They create problems you dont even see until its happened.

Yep.
Original post by Josb
Banks paid colossal fines in the USA.

"In all, the fines and settlements amount to $204 billion paid out through 175 settlements since 2009. The actual number is probably higher, though, as KBW only tracks settlements exceeding $100 million. Since March, the total has grown from $187 billion and the case total expanded from 140."

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/30/misbehaving-banks-have-now-paid-204b-in-fines.html

They paid much less in the EU though.

Lmao, the amount of money the banks got through QE and the bonuses they got, these fines is hardly going to have an impact on the bank. Im willing to bet they funded it through the same money they received from the central banks after their bonds were sold.

The settlements that banks make are massively unjust. They hire the best lawyers to come to a deal that hardly has an impact on banks. Banks are now richer than they were pre-financial crisis.
Well they did take us to war... and achieved nothing.
Reply 90
Original post by kennyy god
Lmao, the amount of money the banks got through QE and the bonuses they got, these fines is hardly going to have an impact on the bank. Im willing to bet they funded it through the same money they received from the central banks after their bonds were sold.

The settlements that banks make are massively unjust. They hire the best lawyers to come to a deal that hardly has an impact on banks. Banks are now richer than they were pre-financial crisis.

Banks were often forced to pay one year of profit. Hardly nothing.

You wanted the banks to go bankrupt? That would have had a real "impact" on them, but also on your savings.
Reply 91
Original post by zero766
So a civil war in Syria with British air strikes introduced into the mix doesn't make anything worse? Aha.. yep... you keep telling yourself that I guess lol

British airstrikes are very limited in Syria. Just compare them with Russian airstrikes.

Anyway, I don't have any problem with terrorists being killed.
Original post by Josb

You wanted the banks to go bankrupt? That would have had a real "impact" on them, but also on your savings.

Source? They're richer now than they were before. Yeah, they must have faced some struggle.

When did i say I wanted the banks to go bankrupt?
Original post by zero766

How does targeting IS in support of the people fighting them on the ground make things any worse than they currently are with aid workers being beheaded, gays chucked off buildings etc?

The more support they have the quicker they can get rid of them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
British airstrikes are very limited in Syria. Just compare them with Russian airstrikes.

Anyway, I don't have any problem with terrorists being killed.

You're missing a fundamental part of war here buddy. Innocent people always get caught up in the battle and get killed by accident.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/26/syria-coalition-airstrikes-civilian-death-toll-amnesty-international
Original post by JamesN88
How does targeting IS in support of the people fighting them on the ground make things any worse than they currently are with aid workers being beheaded, gays chucked off buildings etc?

The more support they have the quicker they can get rid of them.

No. That logic is weird. Throwing more people into a bloody and gruesome war does not solve anything. You don't solve a problem by contributing to the cause.

ISIS has a lot of oil that it sells to other countries and thus has enough resources to never be concerned. Then you have new recruits coming to fight for ISIS from around the globe, so they have enough people too. This war has gone on for years, if we were going to win it with this strategy then it would've happened by now.

Plus nobody is even fighting on the same side, Russia supports the Syrian Government and Britain/USA support the opposition.

Extremism is always wrong, but how do we tell people "violence and war is wrong" if we're getting involved in that very same war? Nobody is going to take a hypocrite seriously.
Original post by Josb

The individual bankers who were so reckless should have been held accountable.

The reality is the banks got off relatively scotch free despite almost bringing the world's economy down through sheer recklessness.
Original post by zero766
No. That logic is weird. Throwing more people into a bloody and gruesome war does not solve anything. You don't solve a problem by contributing to the cause.

ISIS has a lot of oil that it sells to other countries and thus has enough resources to never be concerned. Then you have new recruits coming to fight for ISIS from around the globe, so they have enough people too. This war has gone on for years, if we were going to win it with this strategy then it would've happened by now.

Plus nobody is even fighting on the same side, Russia supports the Syrian Government and Britain/USA support the opposition.

Extremism is always wrong, but how do we tell people "violence and war is wrong" if we're getting involved in that very same war? Nobody is going to take a hypocrite seriously.

IS are losing though, their oil profits have collapsed thanks to the airstrikes. They're almost finished in Iraq and Raqqa is being attacked by the Kurds with coalition backing.

Military action is never a thing to celebrate but unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world.

Considering they're actively targeting the West with terrorist attacks and have zero interest in peace under any circumstances what would your solution be?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 98
I think that a budget deficit ~£150 billion between 09-10 and ~£30-50 billion between 02-08 was abit excessive even once accounting for the financial crisis that we felt at 08. Even accounting for the Keynesian policy held to boost AD, the budget deficit between 02-08 (which brought the Major government down) was the wrong policy for the time as Keynes wanted debt to be paid off during the stable/booming times.
Original post by JamesN88
IS are losing though, their oil profits have collapsed thanks to the airstrikes. They're almost finished in Iraq and Raqqa is being attacked by the Kurds with coalition backing.

Military action is never a thing to celebrate but unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world.

Considering they're actively targeting the West with terrorist attacks and have zero interest in peace under any circumstances what would your solution be?

That will never take away from the many innocent lives lost and the fact it could've been handled much better.

My solution, well, I don't believe it's easy at all. But we should've had a better agreement with more countries. I.e. Russia on the same side as us, stop selling weapons to the middle east, stop buying their oil. Those would be a good start.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending