How hard is Biology A Level compared to Chemistry A Level?

Watch
Hedgehog2017
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is Biology A Level harder than Chemistry A Level?
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, i do both and i think chemistry is harder
tsh2001
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How heavily maths-based are A-Level Chemistry and Biology? (Maths isn't exactly my strong point)
Bulletzone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you know how to use a Calculator and re-arrange equations and a few ratio stuff, that is all the maths needed for A-level Chemistry.
cathasatail
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Chemistry is harder in terms of concepts and the amount of content you have to learn, Biology is easier in that regard but the mark schemes can be horrendously fiendish. Also, my Chem teacher is one of the greatest teachers I have had the pleasure of knowing and my Biology teacher, well, isn't...

Hope that helps

Kind regards,
Sam (A2 AQA Chem and OCR Bio student)

p.s. the maths is pretty easy for chemistry- as long as you can re-arrange formulae, use powers and learn how to use log then it's fairly intuitive. The maths for biology has in the past been a doddle but the new specification has increased the maths content by quite a bit so i guess that i'll find out in a few months time :\
username1915455
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am in Y12 and do both Biology and Chemistry. Biology definitely has more content that Chemistry and requires more learning of content but much less understanding whereas chemistry focuses a lot more on understanding concepts. As for the maths there is definitely more maths in Chemistry than Biology in terms of in the past papers but in terms if the maths you need to learn in biology it is probably actually more more (though if you do S1 in maths I imagine lots of it is covered there also) but pretty easy to follow (basically just percentages and applying stats tests) whereas in chemistry the maths is a bit more involved. Also it is worth noting that biology contains a lot of very much chemistry based topics about biological molecules so if you are good at chemistry you should also be good at this part of the course. There is also some quite considerable areas of overlap that make doing both subjects together easier that say biology and german, for example.
Really what is harder depends on you, how your brain works but probably most importantly your teachers (both in the A level and how well you actually understood from GCSE), whichever subject has better teachers for you is probably going to be easier. I find chemistry slightly easier because I am probably taught better for it and spend less time doing useless HW tasks that my biology teachers love for some reason and so spend more time doing independent work that helps me more for chemistry instead of biology.
06moca1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Hedgehog2017)
Is Biology A Level harder than Chemistry A Level?
It's easier to get higher marks in chemistry than biology.

Chemistry is like maths. All you need to do is understand and re-do examples and practice. Biology is more memorisation.
I got 90% in my organic chem sections at AS and A level. I continue to get high 80%-90% at university level organic chemistry.
My biology marks are lower since I'm not great at memorisation.
Demi.star
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How can you maximise marks In biology and chemistry??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mathumie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cathasatail)
Chemistry is harder in terms of concepts and the amount of content you have to learn, Biology is easier in that regard but the mark schemes can be horrendously fiendish. Also, my Chem teacher is one of the greatest teachers I have had the pleasure of knowing and my Biology teacher, well, isn't...

Hope that helps

Kind regards,
Sam (A2 AQA Chem and OCR Bio student)

p.s. the maths is pretty easy for chemistry- as long as you can re-arrange formulae, use powers and learn how to use log then it's fairly intuitive. The maths for biology has in the past been a doddle but the new specification has increased the maths content by quite a bit so i guess that i'll find out in a few months time :\
What are your revision tips for chemistry because it seems like when I learn something I forget something else. I have my end of year coming up so how did you revise for yours and does it get worse at A2?
C_Yap
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am currently in Y12, and have studied nearly half of the entire course.

I honestly find Chemistry a lot harder, because the concepts are a lot more challenging and hard to wrap my head around. However, exam-wise Biology can be quite difficult because exam technique is quite challenging.
Mathumie
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Baaah)
I am currently in Y12, and have studied nearly half of the entire course.

I honestly find Chemistry a lot harder, because the concepts are a lot more challenging and hard to wrap my head around. However, exam-wise Biology can be quite difficult because exam technique is quite challenging.
I'm finding biology harder than chemistry because there is so much more to memorise. I feel like with chemistry if you do understand something you are less likely to forget it as much, right? However that's only for organic but I seriously need revision help for non-organic
C_Yap
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mathumie)
No way. I'm finding biology harder than chemistry because there is so much more to memorise. I feel like with chemistry if you do understand you won't forget it as much, right?
So how are you going to revise?
We're opposites lol.

To revise, I've printed off the specifications, and made something for each point (either flash card or concise notes). I haven't finished making these though. Flash cards will be particularly useful in memorising the mechanisms.

As for biology, I do edexcel salters nuffield. I'm going to create model answers for the core practicals I've done so far so that incase a 'Devise an experiment' question appears, I will know exactly how to answer.

I need to practice various types of questions too. E.g. 'Analyse to explain', 'Criticise', 'Evaluate'. I got a low B in my Biology mock because I missed all the mark scheme points due to not understanding those key terms.
Mathumie
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Baaah)
We're opposites lol.

To revise, I've printed off the specifications, and made something for each point (either flash card or concise notes). I haven't finished making these though. Flash cards will be particularly useful in memorising the mechanisms.

As for biology, I do edexcel salters nuffield. I'm going to create model answers for the core practicals I've done so far so that incase a 'Devise an experiment' question appears, I will know exactly how to answer.

I need to practice various types of questions too. E.g. 'Analyse to explain', 'Criticise', 'Evaluate'. I got a low B in my Biology mock because I missed all the mark scheme points due to not understanding those key terms.
That's a really good idea. I feel like i have to rewrite the flash cards near the time to fully get it in my mind. We haven't had our mock yet so I don't know at what grade I'm working on but a B is really good.

So you know for your core practicals are you getting sample questions from a specific website?
C_Yap
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's a really good idea. I feel like i have to rewrite the flash cards near the time to fully get it in my mind. We haven't had our mock yet so I don't know at what grade I'm working on but a B is really good.

So you know for your core practicals are you getting sample questions from a specific website?
Yeah, I guess a B is fine at the moment. Its gives me room to improve to get an A at the end of the year.

And no, I'm not using any questions from any specific website. I'm constructing my own questions because the questions that come up are usually the same with a slightly different context.
If past papers mark schemes have the core practical answers, I might use it as a guide to construct the model answers.

(Btw, what is your exam board???)
yesmynameis
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
biology is nothing compared to chemistry (well in my opinion anyway)
Mathumie
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Baaah)
Yeah, I guess a B is fine at the moment. Its gives me room to improve to get an A at the end of the year.

And no, I'm not using any questions from any specific website. I'm constructing my own questions because the questions that come up are usually the same with a slightly different context.
If past papers mark schemes have the core practical answers, I might use it as a guide to construct the model answers.

(Btw, what is your exam board???)
My board is AQA but I feel like the core praticals won't differ as much. I'm hoping to do that too and I might start making posters to stick in my room for each pratical so I can visually see it. Go for the a* cause a B is good but an a* is amazing
Mathumie
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by yesmynameis)
biology is nothing compared to chemistry (well in my opinion anyway)
As in like biology is harder or easier than chem?
yesmynameis
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
biology is much easier than chem. Biology is basically just memorising things from the textbook. chemistry is much harder since you have to actually do many complicated calculations and the content is much harder to grasp

As in like biology is harder or easier than chem?
C_Yap
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My board is AQA but I feel like the core praticals won't differ as much. I'm hoping to do that too and I might start making posters to stick in my room for each pratical so I can visually see it. Go for the a* cause a B is good but an a* is amazing
:yy::yy::yy:
Dan11235
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm doing OCR B Biology and OCR A Chemistry Y13 (A2). Biology is definitely harder in terms of content to learn and mark schemes being harsh. Chemistry has harder concepts than Biology. Basically, if you're good with high volume learning do Bio; if you're better at less learning but higher level concepts then do Chem, in my opinion. In terms of maths, Chem involves basic equations and maybe a log here or there, biology has mostly statistics. Good luck either way
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (191)
57.88%
I don't have everything I need (139)
42.12%

Watched Threads