History Cold War definition confusion!

Watch
jasmine_GCSE
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What is the difference between a satellite state and a country's 'sphere of influence' I've been looking online for a while but I can't seem to find a specific answer to my question! Specific definitions of each a satellite state and a sphere of influence would be useful too! Thank you! (My exam board is Edexcel and I'm taking my history GCSE in 2017.)
e2014
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Satellite state is a country affected by a country's sphere of influence. For example, Russia had a sphere of influence and as a consequence, countries like Czechoslovakia and Hungary were satellite states.
username1628823
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They're pretty similar. For example, the GDR is both a satellite state and within the USSR's sphere of influence.

A satellite state can be defined as a country whose government has been selected/endorsed by the USSR, but is not a member of the USSR.

The idea of a sphere of influence is a tricky one, because influence cannot be objectively measured. However, you could generally say that the Soviet sphere of influence extended across all of its satellite states and over other 'Communist' countries such as China, North Korea, Cuba etc.

(Original post by jasmine_GCSE)
What is the difference between a satellite state and a country's 'sphere of influence' I've been looking online for a while but I can't seem to find a specific answer to my question! Specific definitions of each a satellite state and a sphere of influence would be useful too! Thank you! (My exam board is Edexcel and I'm taking my history GCSE in 2017.)
jasmine_GCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by e2014)
Satellite state is a country affected by a country's sphere of influence. For example, Russia had a sphere of influence and as a consequence, countries like Czechoslovakia and Hungary were satellite states.
Thank you! Do you know an exact definition for both terms? Would be very useful
jasmine_GCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by jasaron)
they're pretty similar. For example, the gdr is both a satellite state and within the ussr's sphere of influence.

A satellite state can be defined as a country whose government has been selected/endorsed by the ussr, but is not a member of the ussr.

The idea of a sphere of influence is a tricky one, because influence cannot be objectively measured. However, you could generally say that the soviet sphere of influence extended across all of its satellite states and over other 'communist' countries such as china, north korea, cuba etc.
thankyou so much !!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (12)
32.43%
Less motivated (25)
67.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed