Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Am i the only person who thinks that people that do sciences act a little well snobbish to people who do stuff like media studies, i should know i am guilty of it. However i did a subject like politics which is not terribly dificult but coma inducingly boring howver it is best for me to hope and pray i do well in the 3 sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bleeper)
    Am i the only person who thinks that people that do sciences act a little well snobbish to people who do stuff like media studies, i should know i am guilty of it. However i did a subject like politics which is not terribly dificult but coma inducingly boring howver it is best for me to hope and pray i do well in the 3 sciences.

some people do, some people don't. even some of those taking arts subjects would consider media studies etc a mickey mouse subject. it depends on the mentality of the inidividual.

ReputationRep:
    I seem to recall this from the 'Debate' forum.

(In any case I generally back the sciences/maths as being harder though that's subjective, I sure as hell couldn't do very good at English for example)

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that, though I don't have any preferences. I believe different subjects have different aspects of involvement thus you can't really say that sciences/maths are any harder than, for instance, politics. They require different skills altogether; critical and analytical skills v logical thinking and problem solving. Anyone who believes their subject is far more difficult than someone else's needs to get over their superiority complex.

ReputationRep:

I've done sciences and humanties and don't think i have the right to put down anybody elses subject choices.

I don't really insult other subjects, but some people do like my dad, who wouldn't give me a break about doing business studies GCSE. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go out and insult someone about it and if I did, it shouldn't make any difference. They should be happy with whatever subjects they chose.
    However, personally i do feel that Maths/Biology/Chemistry/Physics/Further maths are the more difficult A levels, and a little above the others.

(Original post by Gaz031)
    I wouldn't go out and insult someone about it and if I did, it shouldn't make any difference. They should be happy with whatever subjects they chose.
    However, personally i do feel that Maths/Biology/Chemistry/Physics/Further maths are the more difficult A levels, and a little above the others.
    There is no definitive group of difficult subjects, I would find art harder than advanced maths...

Oh, and what's wrong with history? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking very generally. An individual might find art more difficult, but on the whole, the real sciences are considered more difficult.
    There's nothing wrong with history, whatever turns you on =).

I'm talking very generally. An individual might find art more difficult, but on the whole, the real sciences are considered more difficult.
    There's nothing wrong with history, whatever turns you on =).
    I wouldn't say that it turns me on! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say scientists are as guilty as this as people doing "prestigious" subjects such as Classics, Philosophy, PPE, History, Politics...

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the individual, I have friends doing Maths, F.Maths, Physics who consider me getting an A in Media as good as them getting an A in further maths. However I also know people who consider a C in a science better than an A in media/history/english.

ReputationRep:
    I do Maths, Physics, Chemistry, English and History. On the whole, the difficult levels are similar, except maths being a particular challenge for me with my limited skill in the subject, and English does come a little easier.

However, I do believe there are some subjects which are less academically challenging than the likes of Physics and Maths. Although it is more the place of a Uni admissions tutour to decide which student has coped best with the harder selection of A levels.

ReputationRep:
    Media studies is a pointless subject to offer at A-level and even degree, it's far too specific - we should keep subjects like this at Master's level.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarBlueUK)
    Yes.
    I mean yes to the snobbery thing. People do do it and it;s so annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Snobbery is a fact of life.

In the end, I think that all subjects are just as hard as eachother in the average.
    But we're all different, so we do find some subjects much harder/easier than others.

Some people think they are better than others because they are richer.

Some people think they are better than others because they are sexier.

I'm afraid you are just going to have to accept it - this is the real world. Some of the people taking only Science subjects at A-level will act as if they are superior to the ones that take something like Art or English.

(Snobbery is very sad and VERY immature)

ReputationRep:
    Well politics isn't exactly a walk in the park.

ReputationRep:
    UMS means that 'harder' subjects like maths and chemistry are on par with art and music - basically, sciences get a load of marks added on whereas us artisans dont.

ReputationRep:

I would hardly say biology or chemistry are especially hard. Both my sibling took those subject, and found them a more 'difficult a-level'.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.