The Student Room Group

Employer changed internship date, clash with pre-booked holiday!

I recently applied for a six month paid internship position that was advertised as taking place during "Summer 2017". They got back to me and asked about my availability, so I explained that I would be available from the end of July. They said that was fine, those dates would work for them, and that I would hear from them when they were ready to begin interviewing. Great, I thought!

After hearing back from them, I went ahead and booked a holiday from the end of June until mid July. I received an email today stating that ideally they would actually be looking for someone who would be available from the start of June. The way they've worded it makes it seem non-negotiable. Is it unreasonable to ask if I would still be eligible for the internship position - even if I'd have to take what amounts to 12 working days off, one month into the internship?

Is there anyway I can make this work or am I throwing away a good opportunity if I decide to go on holiday?:frown:

(To make it even worse I'd also need a day off the week after for my graduation ceremony!)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by blitzle
I recently applied for a six month paid internship position that was advertised as taking place during "Summer 2017". They got back to me and asked about my availability, so I explained that I would be available from the end of July. They said that was fine, those dates would work for them, and that I would hear from them when they were ready to begin interviewing. Great, I thought!

After hearing back from them, I went ahead and booked a holiday from the end of June until mid July. I received an email today stating that ideally they would actually be looking for someone who would be available from the start of June. The way they've worded it makes it seem non-negotiable. Is it unreasonable to ask if I would still be eligible for the internship position - even if I'd have to take what amounts to 12 working days off, one month into the internship?

Is there anyway I can make this work or am I throwing away a good opportunity if I decide to go on holiday?:frown:

(To make it even worse I'd also need a day off the week after for my graduation ceremony!)

How much do you want the job? how good an internship is it and does it pay a proper salary?

Have you checked whether you can cancel your holiday.

Imo I would proceed with the interview and you only have to make your mind up if they offer it you. Obviously as you are super keen and may get asked about your availability then you can use it as a tool to show how much you want the job and are prepared to cancel your holiday if you get it if there is no other way. Until they offer it to you, then you have no choice to make.

imo 6 month internship is more important than a holiday. they might relent and let you take the holiday if you impress them that much or they might let you take paid holiday immediately. I would have no problem losing a deposit. You can sometimes transfer the tickets,.
Reply 2
Holiday's can wait. Go for the position - internships are hard to come by.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger

Imo I would proceed with the interview and you only have to make your mind up if they offer it you. .

So you wouldn't tell them about the holiday and just proceed with the interview then decide later?

I think the flights that we've booked are non-refundable so would most likely lose money there but as you say might be able to move the dates.

Do you think it would be rude to ask why they originally were fine with the internship starting at the end of July and have now changed it to start in June?

I really like the look of the internship, but I'd also have really liked to have a bit of a break after finishing my degree and starting work :laugh:
Original post by blitzle
So you wouldn't tell them about the holiday and just proceed with the interview then decide later?

I think the flights that we've booked are non-refundable so would most likely lose money there but as you say might be able to move the dates.

Do you think it would be rude to ask why they originally were fine with the internship starting at the end of July and have now changed it to start in June?

I really like the look of the internship, but I'd also have really liked to have a bit of a break after finishing my degree and starting work :laugh:

As a business decision they want someone to start in June. That is their choice.

You can tell them about the holiday, but they can also tell you thats fine and pick someone else. People are unpredictable and you dont know how they will react.
You dont have a job offer at the moment so you dont have to make the decision. maybe you are an outstanding candidate or maybe you arent, maybe there are others just as good.

Yes you can ask, but if done wrongly you run the risk they will be less impressed. Check the booking and see what can be done. My gut instinct is it suits them to have someone in June probably to cover for a colleague.
I appreciate that internships are hard to come by but in my opinion if you're the best person for the job and they want you, then they will wait 2 or 3 weeks for you to start. It's very common for people to be offered jobs with an ideal starting month, only to have to start the next month (or even later) because they e.g. need to work off their notice period in their current job. Yes you don't want to give up the chance of the internship but in my experience most recruiters will understand! If it's a deal breaker for them then they weren't set on your for the job anyway - so it's up to you now to make sure that you really impress them at interview. And I wouldn't word it as asking why they changed their mind about the starting job, but you can say something along the lines of you were advised about the starting date previously which is why you are not available to work in those 2 weeks - but maybe don't mention it's a holiday, just say you're unavailable. It's probably best to offer to start when they want you to, but take the 2 weeks holiday potentially as unpaid leave (as you don't know how much paid leave you're getting anyway) and see which option they prefer. But honestly, if you're the best person for the job, they'll be flexible to some extent because they want you (it costs way more to hire a less than suitable person) - you just need to make sure you are that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending