Case studies Geography Watch

randomnname
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How old for a case study is acceptable, for example Mt St Helens 1980 is it still usable. A2 Geo.
Laurenloops
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do AQA and it says on the spec case studies should preferably within the last 30 years, so St Helens is older than that. I used Mount Etna for a case study in a MEDC. I think you can use examples that are any age (Or at least there is no mention in the spec you can't), and quite a few of my mini bits of info are on eruptions etc. that happened over 30 years ago, like facts on volcano management.

If you aren't on AQA, all this info is useless though Dx
AbiCEyre
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think it really matters. But what hazard are you linking to mt st helens? if there is a hazard which has occurred more recently then i would use a different one. Such as if the hazard was tephra or ash clouds, i would use Iceland which was 2010.
WarningPlanet02
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can do any as long as it is applicable for my mock i forgot mine so used an economics case study instead ans still got full marks
Inister
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What specifically are you wanting to use Mt St Helens for? Pinatubo 1991 shares many similarities (physically), perhaps use that instead
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the way i see it, if the case study is a good example of an event or process that you are trying to explain then use it regardless of the age. it also could depend on what you are trying to explain or describe. some hazards for example have occurred more frequently than others. for example a caldera volcanic eruption (supervolcano) doesn't occur very frequently there aren't as many examples of those compared to another hazards such as an earthquake which occurs very frequently. but i think as long is it is relevant and there is enough information on it, then it should be fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (36)
13.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (54)
20.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (37)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (32)
12.4%
How can I be the best version of myself? (78)
30.23%

Watched Threads