The Student Room Group

Student Finance application submitted, but have concerns

I've done my application (online), but have concerns.

Background info which will be useful to whoever responds to this:

I went to Uni when I was 18, straight after completion of my A-levels, however I dropped out of my course after only a few months. Now, some years later, I am returning to Uni (all going well with this finance application, that is).

* I was not asked once to provide details of a parent's financial information, or to even give the name or any details of a parent.

* I wasn't asked what my household income was at all whatsoever, despite this being something I know for a fact you need to provide - when I applied for finance back when I was 18 and initially went to Uni, this was asked of me....

* When I applied for finance previously, my mother and father were both still living; however, my father has since died (as a result, my family household income will now be dramatically reduced).
Is this something I should ring up Student Finance England and notify them of? - Just in case my application is assessed on the household income info I provided when I first applied at age 18?

* The application said that I will be asked to provide "evidence" or proof of certain things , however I've been asked to provide no evidence of anything...and the only thing now required of me is to sign the agreement to the terms form. Concerned by this, is it a possible error?

* Last, but not least - I've been assured on here and elsewhere that I am eligible for finance, despite having previously been at Uni.

Apparently if a person drops out after having studied for only one year or less than a year, then they will be eligible for finance for a full 3 year degree but without the additional year (I didn't even know they did finance for an additional year).

However I am worried that the Uni I was at didn't notify the student loans company that I left Uni early (for whatever reason) and maybe Student Finance England will incorrectly think, when they view my application, that I am not eligible for finance as they may think I studied the full degree and graduated.
Original post by anxiety2017
I've done my application (online), but have concerns.

Background info which will be useful to whoever responds to this:

I went to Uni when I was 18, straight after completion of my A-levels, however I dropped out of my course after only a few months. Now, some years later, I am returning to Uni (all going well with this finance application, that is).

* I was not asked once to provide details of a parent's financial information, or to even give the name or any details of a parent.

* I wasn't asked what my household income was at all whatsoever, despite this being something I know for a fact you need to provide - when I applied for finance back when I was 18 and initially went to Uni, this was asked of me....

* When I applied for finance previously, my mother and father were both still living; however, my father has since died (as a result, my family household income will now be dramatically reduced).
Is this something I should ring up Student Finance England and notify them of? - Just in case my application is assessed on the household income info I provided when I first applied at age 18?

* The application said that I will be asked to provide "evidence" or proof of certain things , however I've been asked to provide no evidence of anything...and the only thing now required of me is to sign the agreement to the terms form. Concerned by this, is it a possible error?

* Last, but not least - I've been assured on here and elsewhere that I am eligible for finance, despite having previously been at Uni.

Apparently if a person drops out after having studied for only one year or less than a year, then they will be eligible for finance for a full 3 year degree but without the additional year (I didn't even know they did finance for an additional year).

However I am worried that the Uni I was at didn't notify the student loans company that I left Uni early (for whatever reason) and maybe Student Finance England will incorrectly think, when they view my application, that I am not eligible for finance as they may think I studied the full degree and graduated.

How old are you? if you're over 25 and single, your income (because at that point, you're classed as independent) is assessed as nil, therefore, they won't ask for any evidence of income.

You're entitled to length of course + 1 - previous years study.
Reply 2
Thank you. Yes I'm over 25 now.

If the uni that I plan to study at is in London, do I qualify for the higher amount of maintenance (with living costs there obviously being higher than the rest of England)? Or is that not necessarily the case?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending