Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How do you know when to mention van der waals in an exam question?
    Also,I'm confused as to where van der waals forces are,like are they only in covalent molecules etc,I just find apply my knowledge on this topic to exam questions hard,any help is appreciated.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by PrabUppal)
    How do you know when to mention van der waals in an exam question?
    Also,I'm confused as to where van der waals forces are,like are they only in covalent molecules etc,I just find apply my knowledge on this topic to exam questions hard,any help is appreciated.
    Remember that Van der waals forces as intermolecular forces are a result of ineracting electrons. Just imagine a shell with electrons in it. The side of a shell with a surplus of electons has a negative charge, while the side with a lack of electrons has a positive charge. And so the different charges come into being. Those different charges attracts each other, and so the atoms. This leads to a bond of those atoms. Here is a good picture to van der waals forces between two atoms.

So these intermolecular forces are always in existence when different charges are forming bonds. The crystalline bonds of salts are a good example for that. The bonds in salts consists of a positive charge (Na+) and a negative one (Cl-).

ReputationRep:
    Whenever the question mentions melting or boiling point, it wants you to talk about intermolecular forces
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by voltz)
    Whenever the question mentions melting or boiling point, it wants you to talk about intermolecular forces
    It could also be asked for the bonds of certain molecules, the bonds of water molecules for instance. Can remember me to be asked for those forces in such a context.

ReputationRep:
    so do induced dipoles occur in non polar molecules and permanent dipoles occur in non polar molecules?What would I say in an exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    It could also be asked for the bonds of certain molecules, the bonds of water molecules for instance. Can remember me to be asked for those forces in such a context.
    How would i know if a molecule has an induced or permanent dipole,I'm not sure how id be able to tell what the intermolecular forces are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrabUppal)
    so do induced dipoles occur in non polar molecules and permanent dipoles occur in non polar molecules?What would I say in an exam?
    Polar molecules have a permanent dipole which can induce dipoles in nearby molecules .

Non-polar molecules can have instantaneous dipoles which can induce dipoles in nearby molecules (Dispersion).

Both of these are "van der Waals" forces.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 8, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.