Im a Youth Councillor AMA

Watch this thread
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I gained a place on the Sheffield Youth Cabinet in an election where over 11,000 young people across the West of Sheffield voted. I work to improve the lives of young people in my constituency of Sheffield West and also of Sheffield as a whole.

Ask me anything and please share with me things you want changing I will make more powerful people know and will hear you out
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 0100100101001101)
Hi, I gained a place on the Sheffield Youth Cabinet in an election where over 11,000 young people across the West of Sheffield voted. I work to improve the lives of young people in my constituency of Sheffield West and also of Sheffield as a whole.

Ask me anything and please share with me things you want changing I will make more powerful people know and will hear you out
Are you a Brexiter or a Remainer? What sort of work do you do? Have you met anyone famous yet?
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by UWS)
Are you a Brexiter or a Remainer? What sort of work do you do? Have you met anyone famous yet?
I am a Lexiteer (Left Brexiteer). The best type of Brexiteer

Currently I am working on 2 different camapaigns:

A Curriculum to Prepare Young People for Life
School can teach you many things but not always how to develop personally and socially. Young people need to be taught life skills, not just English and Maths, if they are to be well equipped for the real world.

I meet with Local Councillors, Headteachers, and School Captains to discuss the issue. We have outlined a plan for schools to implement monthly workshop days where students are allowed to select 4 workshops from a list of possible options. Each workshop would teach a different life skill. We decided on 3 broader areas that should be covered in a curriculum that prepares people for life. Each area had many sub-topics.

The topics are:
Happy being me
- Sex and Relationships
- Sexual Health
- Identity
- Bullying
- Mental Health
Moving forward
- Careers
- Money
- Housing
- Politics
- Rights and Responsibilities
- Confidence and Self-esteem
- Hobbies and Interests
The World Around Us
- Crime
- The Media
- Culture
- Current Affairs
- Health

Fair Futures

The Fair Futures campaign involves thinking about the issues that will affect the young people of Sheffield 10 years in the future and designing strategies on how to best tackle them.

The topics covered included:
- Automation
- Access to Learning
- Tuition Fees - Housing
- Rich and Poor Divide
- Restrictive Movement
- Finance
- Democratic Deficit
- Transport
- Austerity
- Climate Change
- Devolution

By the end of the project, our team will assemble a manifesto and publish in an article in a renowned Sheffield magazine documenting our ideas.

Most famous person I have met so far - bearing in mind I've only been in the job since March is the former Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (30)
27.03%
Take a gap year (17)
15.32%
Resit my exams (30)
27.03%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (17)
15.32%
I don't know yet (12)
10.81%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
4.5%

Watched Threads