UCL civil engineering requirements Watch

ihatePE
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
my A levels are maths, history and geography. i know civil eng in most unis ask for at least maths, then a science (in my case geography is acceptable for them)

and im a little bit interested in UCL, though confused about their ''no specific subject'' requirement for civil eng. is this normal? considering ucl is quite top.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...ng-civil-meng/
Rohit_Rocks10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ihatePE)
my A levels are maths, history and geography. i know civil eng in most unis ask for at least maths, then a science (in my case geography is acceptable for them)

and im a little bit interested in UCL, though confused about their ''no specific subject'' requirement for civil eng. is this normal? considering ucl is quite top.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...ng-civil-meng/
Most people will usually apply with both physics and maths.... some with even further maths!!! So without physics...forget physics even another science.... you are at a bit of a disadvantage! And yeah! Make sure you meet the GCSE requirements.... C in english and A in physics
overton window
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
UCL is not 'top' for engineering, they're actually quite bad at it. There have been threads here about it.
ihatePE
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rohit_Rocks10)
Most people will usually apply with both physics and maths.... some with even further maths!!! So without physics...forget physics even another science.... you are at a bit of a disadvantage! And yeah! Make sure you meet the GCSE requirements.... C in english and A in physics
that doesn't answer my question but thanks
Rohit_Rocks10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ihatePE)
that doesn't answer my question but thanks
Oops... my bad i didnt read the complete question! Yh! Exactly thats really weird coz most ask for atleast maths but anyway doing engineering without A-Level maths = disaster
Vikingninja
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I didn't apply to UCL but I do study civ eng. It sounds about right really apart from that maths isn't a necessity. Most unis specify maths as a necessity and then a rather large variety of subjects which they require one of though some will specify physics or another facilitating science. Sounds more like they consider anything really though the more relevant subjects (you have geography) will obviously give an advantage over others. I've seen some unis with a list of nearly 10 subjects of required second subjects.
ihatePE
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by overton window)
UCL is not 'top' for engineering, they're actually quite bad at it. There have been threads here about it.
o i see, i just read up on how students depend on self-teaching, which explains
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think the lack of maths and/or physics in the entry requirements is to attract a wider variety of applications who may be well suited to the course and profession, as engineering is about a lot more than just doing calculations. The degree itself still likely has lots of maths in it, based on the modules, and for those who don't come prepared with maths, I think it says that there are extra classes (or something along that lines) and self teaching required to bring them up to speed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads