Chloegalloway
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have just intermitted from my first year of studies at university due to health reasons (needing an operation) and my university have informed me I am entitled to 60 days of discretionary funding due to my circumstances. I am going back to restart year one of my course in September this year. I am wondering what exactly discretionary funding is, like will I get the third installment of my maintenance loan at the start of summer term (apr 24th) or will it be a smaller amount that Student Finance give me?
Also, do I need to contact Student Finance myself to apply for the 60 days funding or will my university do it, and if I have to contact them myself how would I go about that?
Furthermore, will I be expected to pay back any of my maintenance loan now that I have been given from autumn and spring terms? Or will it just be added to the amount I owe that I have to pay back from when I earn a salary over £21,000?
Elizabeth SFE
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi

If you have suspended your studies due to health reasons, we can award you up to 60 days extra funding.

In order to automatically award 60 days additional support a student must have suspended due to illness, your Higher Education provider (HEP) must notify us of this in the suspension, the support will then be put in place. If the HEP do not notify us in the suspension you can send us medical evidence to support this suspension. The evidence will then be reviewed in order to see if the extra funding can be put in place.

Once your suspension is processed, you will receive an amended entitlement award letter. There could be an over payment based on your new entitlement and this will be notified to you.

We would expect any over payment to be paid immediately, however if you cannot afford to repay this, then you can arrange to repay what you can afford. Once you are in repayment repayments will taken only once you are earning over the repayment threshold.

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (136)
28.39%
No - I have already returned home (65)
13.57%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.42%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.39%
No - I live at home during term anyway (140)
29.23%

Watched Threads