Should I give my friend my revision notes?

Watch
JaqenH'gar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Spent around a week, 8 hours a day making a complete politics AS revision guide as I have the exam in two months. My friend who is lazy and has done jack sh*t just asked me for my notes and I said no. Because why should I give my notes to someone who puts no effort in? However, my friend is naturally really pissed off. Shoud I give them the notes? They may be screwed if I don't. However, I really hate the idea of someone who has done nothing using the resources I made to do potentially better then me. Am I in the wrong?

Edit: So this thread blew up slightly. And yeah I see I'm getting quite a bit of hate. One thing I didn't note is that my friend copies me almost all the time, whether it's through tests, homework and in group work I end up doing all the work. My friend is doing no work at the moment, and not even making an effort to do well or attempting to make notes of their own.
username2130115
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
lol hes not your friend then. if he was you wouldn't hesitate to share your notes
Philip-flop
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JaqenH'gar)
Spent around a week, 8 hours a day making a complete politics AS revision guide as I have the exam in two months. My friend who is lazy and has done jack sh*t just asked me for my notes and I said no. Because why should I give my notes to someone who puts no effort in? However, my friend is naturally really pissed off. Shoud I give them the notes? They may be screwed if I don't. However, I really hate the idea of someone who has done nothing using the resources I made to do potentially better then me. Am I in the wrong?
Like you already said, you're the one who has put in the hard work. You shouldn't feel privileged to give them your notes just cos they're your friend! Just explain to them that you'll happily go over topics that they don't understand.

Also, how did you spend 8 hours a day making notes whilst still going to college?
JaqenH'gar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Philip-flop)
Like you already said, you're the one who has put in the hard work. You shouldn't feel privileged to give him your notes just cos they're your friend! Just explain to them that you'll happily go over topics that they don't understand.

Also, how did you spend 8 hours a day making notes whilst still going to college?
Thanks yeah I think that's fair advice. Lets just say I have been taking 'early' study leave every now and then!
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would just give them the notes if I were you. Life is just too short to be so petty.
GoingToBurst
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wouldn't if I were you. If that person has a reason for not having done any work and you want to help them out, then fine, but I wouldn't be giving them all of my work just so they can continue to be lazy. It doesn't seem like a big deal now, but when you get to uni level and people are dicking around doing nothing then expecting you to send them all of your notes, it's damn frustrating.

Also depends how close of a friend they are. I'd send my 3 best friends any of my notes, no question. Any other friends, I'd be a little hesitant.
Luke7456
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
for me it would depend on what this involved if it was handing my notes over absolutely not. If however they were asking for a photocopy then possibly, I would have to take my notes folders to a print place that would photocopy everything for me and they would have to pay for that.

I don't see why anyone would want my notes though my notes are for me they have things explained that others may not need explaining and things taken out which are just obvious to me which others may need explained.

in other words my notes are made specifically for me you can buy notes from amazon in the form of revision guides. I dont see how my notes would be better then professionally made revision guides. They are for me because my notes are made specifically for me but I doubt they would be useful for other people.
JaredzzC
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They are your notes so it's understandable after having invested so much time and effort that you'd want to keep them for yourself.

If anything, it benefits your friend by not having your revision notes as they're then forced to make their own which will end up helping your friend more than just reading someone else's notes. Exams are about a month away, so with careful planning then there should be enough time to compile the notes needed, especially considering the Easter half-term is coming up (assuming you're from the UK).

This might be a bit cynical, but it's sometimes how I think.
At the end of the day, you're essentially 'competing' with your friend and you need to give yourself the best chance of having the best future. The more people that get a better mark, the higher the grade boundaries so the less likely it is to achieve a higher grade. By giving your friend your notes you're essentially helping him to get a better mark and in turn affecting the grade boundaries. This seems like a really selfish thing and it's sometimes the reason why I am reluctant to give my friends my notes, but at the same time they are your friend so you should naturally want to help them, but not spoon feed them. If ever I need help then my friends are always there, so it's only fair that I return that gesture but it's not at all bad to kind of 'regulate' the help you give them i.e. don't do everything for them, but be sure to help them along the way.
SomeWelshGuy123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm sorry, but what kind of friend doesn't want to help their friend? I for one would not like to be mates with you.
Sid The Kid
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nah give them a life lesson, that hard work gets you places. It's their fault they haven't bothered.
Besides, it's your future.
Perhaps, let them take photos of your notes but other than that, keep them.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ugh this happens to me in politics. You need to dumb the notes down and send it, that's what I did.
username2926188
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I can understand why you'd be pissed off about that but just give them da notes
GoingToBurst
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by WeslshStudent101)
I'm sorry, but what kind of friend doesn't want to help their friend? I for one would not like to be mates with you.
What kind of friend uses their friend to get out of doing work that they have plenty of time to do, but just can't be bothered doing it? Some people need to learn that hard work will get them places, relying on other people to do the hard work for them won't.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If the exam is two months away then he has got plenty of time to write up his own revision notes. There is no reason for you to give him yours.
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Im sure they can find notes on TSR or the many revision guides availiable for Politics.
Michiyo
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why would you not?

Still, eight hours a day for a week for politics? What on Earth did you write there? I did politics too and I probably took less time to study (for which I got A) than you did just writing the revision guide.
Uni12345678
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by WeslshStudent101)
Whether it's a friend or not, this person obviously isn't putting their own effort in... so you're saying they deserve the notes just because they managed to become friends with someone ...
Uni12345678
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Michiyo)
Why would you not?

Still, eight hours a day for a week for politics? What on Earth did you write there? I did politics too and I probably took less time to study (for which I got A) than you did just writing the revision guide.
Everyone's different...
Kholmes1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Seems to be fifty fifty on this subject.

Its up to you, theres no right answer. You put all the work in so it seems sort of unfair on you just to give them to your friend. Yes hes your friend but I dont see why that means you have to give it to him.

He shouldnt just depend on you.
Like said above, by not giving him the notes, he will hopefully make his own? So he will learn more that way.

But do what you want. You said no originally so that seems like the right choice. (8 hours a day while he did none)

Maybe help him make his own??
DrLuciferStrange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Dear Jaqen you should. A simple life rule is "what goes round come around" or "give and you shall receive" whatever it is karma god it doesnt matter. But you giving him your notes will not affect your grades and it will help someone in need and maybe you will be that someone in need one day. So giving it to him will not harm you in anyway at all. You actually helping him will give you satisfaction knowing you helped a friend that is doing well in life because of you. I don't know about you but I would give it to him. So your choice I cba to explain life to you. So good luck in your decision
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
15.07%
I'm not sure (16)
3.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.79%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.6%
I'm not a current university student (201)
45.89%

Watched Threads