The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

some advice for heriot watt, edinburgh

Hi there, I've just been accepted as Eu student at Heriot Watt University. I'm from Rome, so I'm starting to look for an accommodation for one semester from next September.
The University seems to be quite far from city center, so I'm note sure if it's better to find something close to the university or city center.
I'd like to find a flat share with 2/3 students or a private student hall (I understand it should be a private room with private bathroom and a small kitchen, with living areas in common with other student).
Can someone help me on it? every kind od advice and information are well accepted :wink:
Thanks, Lorenzo
Original post by Lorenzo96
Hi there, I've just been accepted as Eu student at Heriot Watt University. I'm from Rome, so I'm starting to look for an accommodation for one semester from next September.
The University seems to be quite far from city center, so I'm note sure if it's better to find something close to the university or city center.
I'd like to find a flat share with 2/3 students or a private student hall (I understand it should be a private room with private bathroom and a small kitchen, with living areas in common with other student).
Can someone help me on it? every kind od advice and information are well accepted :wink:
Thanks, Lorenzo

HI Lorenzo,

Congrats on your offer!

We have accommodation on campus which is no more than a 5 minute walk away from the academic buildings so they tend to be a popular choice for first year students. have a look here:
https://www.hw.ac.uk/uk/edinburgh/accommodation/undergraduate-accommodation.htm

You can also live in the city centre if you prefer. We are about a 30 minute bus journey away from the city centre and there is a bus every 5 minutes.

Cheers,
Keir
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Hi

What is the HW policy on PAT testing on electrical items for students who live in the halls ?

Would laptops/printers/phone chargers etc need to be tested ? If yes, would the university arrange for mass testing at the beginning of the new term at discounted rates ?

I read Stirling doesn't require testing for new products that are less that a year old. I wonder if HW has this policy as well

Cheers

MG
Hi MG,

I have checked with our Accommodation team who have advised that laptops and phone chargers don't need to be PAT tested. We don't offer PAT testing for other items through the University I'm afraid.

Please note that kitchens are shared so you will need to ensure everyone is happy for your to have your appliances there. Appliances aren't allowed in the bedrooms.

There's printers available all over the campus so owning your own isn't necessary.

For info, the accommodation contract states:

"Not to use personal kettles, irons, fridges, electric heaters and/or any other items of personal electrical equipment, without prior written consent of the Landlords which will only be provided once the personal equipment has been tested (at the Tenant’s expense) and found to be safe for use."

Hope this helps!

Carole

Original post by morganmuir
Hi

What is the HW policy on PAT testing on electrical items for students who live in the halls ?

Would laptops/printers/phone chargers etc need to be tested ? If yes, would the university arrange for mass testing at the beginning of the new term at discounted rates ?

I read Stirling doesn't require testing for new products that are less that a year old. I wonder if HW has this policy as well

Cheers

MG
Thanks Carole

Quick Reply

Latest