This discussion is closed.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Sexual Health Motion 2017, TSR Liberal Party
This house believes all areas regarding the health of our citizens- whether it be mental health, physical health, or indeed sexual health, are of critical importance. While this house notes there have been improvements in sexual health, more must be done, with the number of diagnoses of syphilis and gonorrhea rising year by year. We believe that as a less noticeable and traditionally taboo aspect of health, more must be done to promote it, with our younger population particularly at risk.

Therefore, this House calls on the government to increase funding in Sexual Health services, in order to open more clinics and to increase sexual education in our schools in order to ensure the health of both our younger and older population.

Notes
This motion would help to better sexual health in the UK, while also fulfilling our manifesto commitment to increase funding in sexual health clinics.
Evidence here for syphilis and gonorrhea rate rises, as well as young people being at risk, a report from public health England.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Throwing money at a problem that isn't solved by throwing money at it. Unsurprisingly nobody has given a response to the question of "if people are having unsafe sex after being told 100 times, why would telling them one more time stop it" which is what is fundamentally what this motion does, not to mention that the simple way to stop the decrease in the two diseases given is to stop gay anal (somehow) as this is where the vast majority (in excess of 80%) of cases come from, and that all other STDs, and the overall rate, are still in sharp decline.
Saoirse:3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Abstain. I agree with the general notion, but I don't think throwing money at this is the solution - the problem isn't a lack of clinics.
Saoirse:3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Throwing money at a problem that isn't solved by throwing money at it. Unsurprisingly nobody has given a response to the question of "if people are having unsafe sex after being told 100 times, why would telling them one more time stop it" which is what is fundamentally what this motion does, not to mention that the simple way to stop the decrease in the two diseases given is to stop gay anal (somehow) as this is where the vast majority (in excess of 80%) of cases come from, and that all other STDs, and the overall rate, are still in sharp decline.
I don't entirely agree. There's certainly massive room for improvement in sex education in schools. For instance, one of my friends who's a bisexual woman didn't know, at the time she first slept with another woman aged 16, that there was a risk of contracting STIs from such situations, let alone what could be done to avoid it. I know when I went to school the "safe sex" education was literally just "put a condom on the penis before it goes into the vagina" several times over, which isn't tremendously helpful if (perish the thought) you end up doing anything marginally more creative in the bedroom. We're never going to completely eliminate STIs or make sure everyone is safe (I can't see a world where every guy is happy to put a condom on before being sucked off, somehow), but there's certainly room to do better than we are right now.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Saoirse:3)
I don't entirely agree. There's certainly massive room for improvement in sex education in schools. For instance, one of my friends who's a bisexual woman didn't know, at the time she first slept with another woman aged 16, that there was a risk of contracting STIs from such situations, let alone what could be done to avoid it. I know when I went to school the "safe sex" education was literally just "put a condom on the penis before it goes into the vagina" several times over, which isn't tremendously helpful if (perish the thought) you end up doing anything marginally more creative in the bedroom. We're never going to completely eliminate STIs or make sure everyone is safe (I can't see a world where every guy is happy to put a condom on before being sucked off, somehow), but there's certainly room to do better than we are right now.
And the necessary changes to account for people being retarded and not having an ounce of common sense does not require what the motion calls for, it requires the people talking about these things to assume that most of the people who they're talking don't understand the overarching concepts even when caught and broaden what they say a little, make clear it is ALL intercourse with the potential exchange of fluids, not just PIV.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
One Abstain has been added by Postal Vote (Seat 8, Obiejess)
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Ayes to the right: 19
Noes to the left: 15
Abstentions: 15
The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!
Turnout: 98%
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.04%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.88%
No I am happy with my course choice (392)
56.98%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (97)
14.1%

Watched Threads