How many driving lessons do people have averagely?

Watch
Minsun20
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've never experienced driving before and I'm going for my first driving lesson in a few days time. My parents don't drive, so they cannot teach me and I'm going to do my theory soon. I've heard people have around 20ish hours or more. I know I may not more driving hours...
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Minsun20)
I've never experienced driving before and I'm going for my first driving lesson in a few days time. My parents don't drive, so they cannot teach me and I'm going to do my theory soon. I've heard people have around 20ish hours or more. I know I may not more driving hours...
If you don't have anyone you can practice with outside lessons then it's worth doubling up and having 2 hours or more a week.

I was in that situation and it took me 30-50 hours in total to pass (can't remember the exact amount) and I definitely learned more during the summer when I could spend 2 hours driving instead of just 1 a week. With everything though it's important to work at your own pace - it isn't a race to get a licence it's a process to learn what you need in order to be a safe and confident driver.

20 hours before your first test is pretty normal - but for many people that first test is as much about practising what the test involves as expecting to pass.
sabana
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I had about 60
Moonstruck16
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Joyriding is the new PassPlus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ForestShadow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I hear 30 is a good amount
nymphielymphie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've passed on my 4th test, so altogether I've had about 40h, plus I did around 15h of driving with my dad in the passenger's seat.
MissDetermined
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So far I've had about 40 ish hours. I failed first test two weeks ago so I'm going to keep having a lesson each week until the next test. If I pass next time then it'll be up to about 46 hours, if not then I'll keep going until I pass. I don't need to learn anything but I have no car to practice privately so I'm just essentially paying to drive and brush up on little things now. It depends on you really, they say 40 hours with an instructor plus private hours with someone but that's not for everyone and not everyone can do that. I was very anxious when I started so confidence plays a part too.
username2028267
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ok but mine is odd. I got my driver's license in the UAE. I had to take 20 hours in total for a manual car driver license. Dubai's driving test is one of the toughest to pass to be honest luckily I learned how to drive when I was in my teens.
Drostina
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mr. Petrol Head)
Ok but mine is odd. I got my driver's license in the UAE. I had to take 20 hours in total for a manual car driver license. Dubai's driving test is one of the toughest to pass to be honest luckily I learned how to drive when I was in my teens.
Did you learn your driving in Bmw E30?
MattB_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well I ended up having a 90 minute lesson every fortnight or so and after about 16 hours of lessons had passed. I had never driven before or had any other practise with my parents. Some people I know had around 20 hours of practise whilst one person I know didn't take any lessons and passed.
username2028267
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Steljoy)
Did you learn your driving in Bmw E30?
Haha, I wish I could . I learned driving in a 1994 Mazda 323 1.5 with 5 speed manual gears. Another car that I learned in was a 2001 Toyota Hilux.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My lessons only happened greatly.
Drostina
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mr. Petrol Head)
Haha, I wish I could . I learned driving in a 1994 Mazda 323 1.5 with 5 speed manual gears. Another car that I learned in was a 2001 Toyota Hilux.
Ooooo niceee, Banging gears on a manual.. That is a true driver :yep:
username2052983
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
About 40 hours I've been told, but i guess it depends on how quickly you get the hang of it
username2028267
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Steljoy)
Ooooo niceee, Banging gears on a manual.. That is a true driver :yep:
Thanks! Unfortunately I drive an automatic car now, but still it got enough beans
Goaded
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I had 20, passed first time with 1 minor!
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Had 17 lessons between December and April. Passed first time
Drostina
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Goaded)
Wow! Nice one
username2028267
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Goaded)
Wow, that's awesome! Well done girl!
baznoy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I had 26 lessons I believe and they were an hour and a half long. I went on the insurance for my parents car for about 5 months too, and did probably the same amount of driving with them that I did with my instructor, so about 40 hours of lessons and about the same private practice. I was completely ready for my first and second tests but failed them for stupid things, and then passed on my third with 1 minor. It took me a very long time to get confident with driving though so I passed 10 months after I started driving. One of my friends had his birthday in late August, and passed his test early November. It takes very different amounts of time for different people, so whatever you feel will work for you, so that you're going at the pace you're comfortable with, is the best time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads