TGG99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I auditioned earlier this year for the National Youth Theatre and when talking about the time when we get our results back (whether we got in or not) they said "April, around April time" - "Roughly 8 weeks"

I was wondering (since its now April) if people have started getting emails through with a congratulations or try again next year?? I'M GETTING IMPATIENT DAMMIT haha!
blondvirgo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TGG99)
I auditioned earlier this year for the National Youth Theatre and when talking about the time when we get our results back (whether we got in or not) they said "April, around April time" - "Roughly 8 weeks"

I was wondering (since its now April) if people have started getting emails through with a congratulations or try again next year?? I'M GETTING IMPATIENT DAMMIT haha!
Last year results were received around 20th April so I'm guessing it will be another couple of weeks!
TGG99
Rep:
?
(Original post by blondvirgo)
Last year results were received around 20th April so I'm guessing it will be another couple of weeks!
Thankyou! I'm guessing you applied and auditioned last year then? Were you successful, if you dont mind me asking? and if so have you gained any opportunities from taking the summer course?
blondvirgo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TGG99)
Thankyou! I'm guessing you applied and auditioned last year then? Were you successful, if you dont mind me asking? and if so have you gained any opportunities from taking the summer course?
Hi
I auditioned for the first time last year and I wasn't successful so have applied again this year. I did do a NYT Audition Technique course and found it very helpful and this year I've been applying for drama schools and have had two offers and have accepted ArtsEd. I felt this year's NYT audition went much better than last year so I really hope I'm accepted this year!
TGG99
Rep:
?
(Original post by blondvirgo)
Hi
I auditioned for the first time last year and I wasn't successful so have applied again this year. I did do a NYT Audition Technique course and found it very helpful and this year I've been applying for drama schools and have had two offers and have accepted ArtsEd. I felt this year's NYT audition went much better than last year so I really hope I'm accepted this year!
Oh wow congratulations! You must be so excited to start! How was the audition process for Drama school? (I've heard it's either straight in and out again, or quite similar to the NYT audition, would you say the same thing?)

Considering this year was my first year auditioning I'm pretty confident with what I had done, and even if I dont get through this time it's been a major confidence boost! Have you reflected on your last audition with NYT and saw areas where you believe could have been a small reason to why you didnt get in? (As in confidence, lack of participation etc.) and what did you change when entering the audition process second time round? Reading someone else's self improvement may be quite enlightening for me if I'm not successful this time; and I've heard its rare to get a place when auditioning for your first time, so I'm not expecting a congrats email anytime soon.

The anticipation is killing me eeegh
blondvirgo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TGG99)
Oh wow congratulations! You must be so excited to start! How was the audition process for Drama school? (I've heard it's either straight in and out again, or quite similar to the NYT audition, would you say the same thing?)

Considering this year was my first year auditioning I'm pretty confident with what I had done, and even if I dont get through this time it's been a major confidence boost! Have you reflected on your last audition with NYT and saw areas where you believe could have been a small reason to why you didnt get in? (As in confidence, lack of participation etc.) and what did you change when entering the audition process second time round? Reading someone else's self improvement may be quite enlightening for me if I'm not successful this time; and I've heard its rare to get a place when auditioning for your first time, so I'm not expecting a congrats email anytime soon.

The anticipation is killing me eeegh
I definitely thought it was much more intense auditioning for drama schools but mine were all several hours with workshops etc, not straight in and out which I've heard LAMDA and some others are.

At NYT this year the panel asked me why I thought I didn't get in last year and I said I thought my monologue had been a bit old for me and I didn't connect with it so well as this year. The NYT Audition Technique course helped me find the right monologue that suited me much better and I used this for my drama school auditions too. On the course I met loads of really talented people who hadn't been successful with NYT so far but this year many of them are getting offers for drama schools and are still hoping to get good news from NYT in the next few weeks!

Other advice I learnt along the way for NYT was to make others look good in the workshop - I guess showing that you would work well as part of an ensemble. The monologue is the part where you can stand out all you want! I would LOVE to get into NYT this year, but I'm definitely very excited to be starting drama school in September! Good luck and I hope you receive good news on results day!
AG99hope
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anyone recieved any news yet?? Getting pretty nervous about it now haha! xxxx
hellosweetieee
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does anybody know how they judge you during your audition and in your workshop. What do they base it on and who choose who goes forward to the summer course? ( Sorry for all the questions!)
TGG99
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by AG99hope)
Anyone recieved any news yet?? Getting pretty nervous about it now haha! xxxx
Same!! But no nothing yet! Wishing you good news though! Xox
TGG99
Rep:
?
(Original post by hellosweetieee)
Does anybody know how they judge you during your audition and in your workshop. What do they base it on and who choose who goes forward to the summer course? ( Sorry for all the questions!)
Honestly I couldn't tell you exactly how they judge, but from my experience there are two leaders and one usually participates in games etc. Whilst the other sits out and observes. My guess is the guy who observes is jotting down who stands out and who they believe brings something exicting or useful to the nyt as a team player! Whereas in the audition (from my experience) you had one of the guys who performed the workshops and one current nyt representative watching you. When you perform your monologue the main guy is writing notes about you and probably looking into use of speech and body movements along side personality and potential! I'd also guess that the current representative would have a say in what gets written about you as well, probably a discussion after you leave to see if current members could see you as a friend or something.

All notes are probably then passed down to people with a higher position to narrow down numbers and from then on it's just down to luck I would guess!
hellosweetieee
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you know if they focus more on the monologue or the workshop?
TGG99
Rep:
?
Do you know if they focus more on the monologue or the workshop?
Honestly I wish I knew! I've heard they don't even give you feedback on what to develop on if you don't get in, so I wish I had some idea at what they were focusing on! I've heard that the teamwork element is crucial so maybe the workshop? And then maybe some people get lucky by just getting in from their monologue?
hellosweetieee
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Has anybody heard anything yet or know when we are getting the emails
TGG99
Rep:
?
Has anybody heard anything yet or know when we are getting the emails
Still waiting, heard results will be emailed late April- mid may. But previous auditionees say don't expect an email until May
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (277)
15.42%
Uncertainty around my education (281)
15.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (178)
9.91%
Isolating with family (127)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (80)
4.45%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (150)
8.35%
Loneliness (177)
9.86%
Financial worries (74)
4.12%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (165)
9.19%
Exposure to negative news/social media (128)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (159)
8.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed