The Student Room Group

C4 integration q

Guys if we have two integrals equated to each other and we modified one of them by (adding in a constant) do we have to do the same for the other side? Or can we just put out a constant outside the integral for the first ?

Thus is probably a very silly question but I'm quiet confused
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Can you give an example of what you mean?
If they equate you'll have to do the same thing to both sides in order for them to still be equal.

And I don't think I totally understand your second question. If you're asking 'is adding a constant in the integral the same as putting the constant outside the integral' then the answer is no. You should picture integration as an algebraic bracket where the integral sign is your opening bracket and the dx or whatever is your closing bracket. If I had 2x + 4 in my integral where I intially added the 4, I can only take 2 out of my integral as this is the common factor, I cannot take out the 4 (technically you can but you'd be left with 2/4 which is quite messy).
Sorry I didn't clarify my question.. This is basically what I was trying to ask14915007074321185074406.jpg
Reply 4
Original post by pondsteps
Sorry I didn't clarify my question.. This is basically what I was trying to ask14915007074321185074406.jpg

Yes that would be fine but those two integrals (antiderivatives) are not the same. If there are limits in the integral - say when you change variables - then it would be fine as abf(x) dx \int_a^b f(x) \ dx is just a number.
It doesn't really make much sense what you've written tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest