The Student Room Group

Should I quit my job after 1 week?

Hello everyone,

So I started a new job on this Monday.

It was meant to be working as an estimator/designer for a heating & ventaltion company within the U.K.

To describe myself, I'm extremely keen and eager to develop myself learning new skills and seeing where I can get a good opportunity to process in the future.

I have worked in the customer service / call centre area for around 2 years and wanted something different.

To start off with the interview, when I went to the interview I explained my situation of not wanting to do customer service and they advised I may need to do a few outbound calls for customers and contractors which I was perfectly fine with however I wouldn't be taking any inbound calls.

Also they advised I may need to work in Doncaster for training for 3 weeks as the business is moving to Wales.

They seemed very good and a great company to work for in the interview and advised it would be perfect for me to develop and get through different levels.

Fast forward to my start day on Monday, they advised me I was unable to drive myself unless I had business insurance, however upon giving them my certificate for the insurance they advised I have to wait a couple of weeks for them to update theirr cords which I don't understand why, secondaly in the car with the manage, he advised we may need to stay in Doncaster for 2 months as the business won't close till later.

I come into work then, and I'm told I'm gonna be working in customer service processing orders and answering calls for the first 3/4 months as my job isn't created yet.

The work has been terrible, I just sit around doing nothing for so many hours expect putting some orders onto the system.

I complained or explained because they wasn't teaching me anything, however the problem was that "I was too eager to learn, and need to slow right down to match everyone else teaching me as their sensitive"
Original post by Headonm
Hello everyone,

So I started a new job on this Monday.

It was meant to be working as an estimator/designer for a heating & ventaltion company within the U.K.

To describe myself, I'm extremely keen and eager to develop myself learning new skills and seeing where I can get a good opportunity to process in the future.

I have worked in the customer service / call centre area for around 2 years and wanted something different.

To start off with the interview, when I went to the interview I explained my situation of not wanting to do customer service and they advised I may need to do a few outbound calls for customers and contractors which I was perfectly fine with however I wouldn't be taking any inbound calls.

Also they advised I may need to work in Doncaster for training for 3 weeks as the business is moving to Wales.

They seemed very good and a great company to work for in the interview and advised it would be perfect for me to develop and get through different levels.

Fast forward to my start day on Monday, they advised me I was unable to drive myself unless I had business insurance, however upon giving them my certificate for the insurance they advised I have to wait a couple of weeks for them to update theirr cords which I don't understand why, secondaly in the car with the manage, he advised we may need to stay in Doncaster for 2 months as the business won't close till later.

I come into work then, and I'm told I'm gonna be working in customer service processing orders and answering calls for the first 3/4 months as my job isn't created yet.

The work has been terrible, I just sit around doing nothing for so many hours expect putting some orders onto the system.

I complained or explained because they wasn't teaching me anything, however the problem was that "I was too eager to learn, and need to slow right down to match everyone else teaching me as their sensitive"

Its up to you. they may come good and its a case of patience or they may not. You could always look for another job in the interim and resign when you get one. this is preferable to being unemployed. The job sounds easy and boring, but still better than signing on.
Original post by Headonm
..........."

You are just utterly unrealistic about how companies operate. Everything you have described there sounds like perfectly normal business operations during a move of office. Timings slip, plans alter and take a little longer to be in place etc. You can try and get another job, but it would be very foolish to leave this job, which is presumably paying you, before you get another job. And chances are, by the time you get another job offer, this job will have settled down.

You are actually very lucky that they a) decided to hire during this transition and b) carried through with your start date, when the project slipped and they didn't have the resources to start training you immediately. Many companies would have simply deferred your start date by a couple of weeks, on a rolling basis, to save on your salary costs

If you are really so eager to learn, then look around you and learn frm the opportunity you have, to see a business go through a significant change of operations.
Original post by 999tigger
Its up to you. they may come good and its a case of patience or they may not. You could always look for another job in the interim and resign when you get one. this is preferable to being unemployed. The job sounds easy and boring, but still better than signing on.

I agree.
Have you interviewed for the position of Estimator/Designer? Was customer service in the job description?

If the answers are yes or no then you can and should threaten to quit on the basis that the job you've been given is different to the job you've applied for and for which you have been hired.

Quick Reply

Latest