strivinglearner
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is it hard to self study GSCE Media Studies? My school will only allow us to pick 8 subjects that will be taught during school. I plan on chosing French and Media Studies as 2 self study subjects since my school has a limit.

Thank you for taking your time to read this.
Charl_Lou
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

Media Studies can be difficult, but it all depends on your approach to it. Have you had a look at the specification for the board that you will be studying (for MS)? This is usually a good indication of whether or not you will succeed at this. You also have to take into account that your other GCSE's will still have to be your main priority, else the school will think you are falling behind. (But, I'm sure you won't, because you are clearly a very hardworking person - who is even self-teaching )
But, as for the media studies, it is more about the comparable articles/TV/media etc that you see in modern life. The course as a general wants you to evaluate changes, old vs modern, and impact on society. You will be seeing why something happens, for example in the papers, and will have to explore a deeper context. I have got a comparison - English. If you are good at English language; reviewing newspaper articles, summarizing, ect, then you will probably do pretty good in media. But, as I said, it is down to the individual, and how you will go about studying this. You have to have a pretty open mind, and be very perceptive for 'hidden meanings', for example.

I know this is brief, but a lot actually happens in media, and it would take SO LONG to go over everything
I hope that this little explanation will encourage you to choose the right course for you!
I really hope that you do well in anything that you choose.
Good Luck! x
strivinglearner
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you!
mdnvmpr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by strivinglearner)
Is it hard to self study GSCE Media Studies? My school will only allow us to pick 8 subjects that will be taught during school. I plan on chosing French and Media Studies as 2 self study subjects since my school has a limit.

Thank you for taking your time to read this.
Absolutely not. In fact I wish I would have done this. Media Studies is one of the easiest subjects out there. It's interesting, but it's also almost completely common sense. The only difference in my knowledge now than before, is the specific theories taught about in media studies. Especially considering how much time our generation spends consuming media, everything you learn will be things you already know, but really just teaching you how to identiy them with subject terminology. If you can get the terminology right, the rest is so easy. In fact I could probably teach it in about half an hour. It's a fun subject, just not really worth the time of a whole GCSE length course in school, so it's great that you're getting an extra qualification if you choose to do it outside of school.
sam321234
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is it hard now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (29)
15.26%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (56)
29.47%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (75)
39.47%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (25)
13.16%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.63%

Watched Threads