Turn on thread page Beta

Number of Christians (and Muslims) to grow, proportion of irreligious to fall watch

ReputationRep:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...20-years#img-1

Hopefully more people will find faith in Christ. Nice to know that irreligious is falling as a proportion of the world. Hopefully more Muslims and irreligious will convert to Christianity.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say the exact opposite. It's worrying how faith of all kinds persists in the modern world.

However, I think I would put these statistics down to religious people in Africa and Asia having more children than in the West, where we have a significant irreligious population, rather than people actually being converted to faith.

ReputationRep:
    Loool, I'm not converting to Christianity at any point. How about you let us be us and we'll let you be you? Allah SAW is the greatest and is the one and only god. He has no partners. Sorry but I'm not sorry. Have a gd day tho

ReputationRep:
    It is not about people finding faith in Christ, but about people being born into religious families and communities that indoctrinate them into a faith. It is no coincidence that the more educated and developed areas of the world have seen a drift towards atheism.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying non-religious people are smart enough not to have a :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:load of children - but that's exactly what I'm saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...20-years#img-1

Hopefully more people will find faith in Christ. Nice to know that irreligious is falling as a proportion of the world. Hopefully more Muslims and irreligious will convert to Christianity.
    This article is making the same mistake that many do on this issue. You are assuming that in country that is nominally 100% religion x, then 100% of the population actually believes in religion x (including all the babies and children), and will continue to do so through future generations. This is obvious nonsense.

For example, Saudi Arabia is officially virtually 100% Muslims, and any population growth is counted as a corresponding increase in the number of Muslims.
    However, in a large-scale, world-wide study into people's actual religiosity only 75% of Saudis called themselves "religious", with 19% "not religious" and 5% "convinced atheist".

This phenomenon was perfectly demonstrated using a question from the last UK census where 60% of people responded to the question "what is your religion?" by picking one from the list provided. However, when the same people were asked "are you religious?", 60% responded "no".

It is clear that when people are asked about their religion they will often self-identify along cultural and social lines, but when they are asked about their religiosity they are more likely to show their actual belief.

What you have to bear in mind is that in general, any increase in levels of education, standard of living, healthcare, democracy, freedoms, etc all lead to decreases in levels of religiosity, so over the next couple of generations it is likely that some countries that are currently very religious will see a fall in religiosity. So while the next 50 years may see an increase in the "culturally" or "nominally religious" due to birth rates, it will almost certainly see a decrease in the "religious by belief".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ralphie)
    Not a fan of religion but it seems like Christianity, buddhism, hinduism and a few others seem to teach people good values and morals.
    Please research Christianity.

Its beliefs, teachings and stories are similar and some alot worse than Islam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex.anne)

Nope. By teachings it is way better. And they actively denounce parts of their religion that is backwards and intolerant. They continue to strive towards progression.

Islam on the other hand advocates killing of apostates, rape, its prophet is paedophile and a warlord and a genuinely disgusting religion. It's degeneracies continue with its followers e.g. 52% of british muslims are against homosexuality.

And I didnt even mention terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerald7770)
    Loool, I'm not converting to Christianity at any point. How about you let us be us and we'll let you be you? Allah SAW is the greatest and is the one and only god. He has no partners. Sorry but I'm not sorry. Have a gd day tho
    ermm no sweetie. allah aint real hes just as fake as other gods in human history :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ralphie)
    Nope. By teachings it is way better. And they actively denounce parts of their religion that is backwards and intolerant. They continue to strive towards progression.

Islam on the other hand advocates killing of apostates, rape, its prophet is paedophile and a warlord and a genuinely disgusting religion. It's degeneracies continue with its followers e.g. 52% of british muslims are against homosexuality.

And I didnt even mention terrorism.
    Christianity advocates these things too? Christianity is against homosexuality too? Just because christians in the west aren't for these things doesn;t mean the bible doesnt say it? And you cant say they 'denounce' parts of their religion, again, just because a christian denounces part of their religion, doesn't mean its not there. Go to a church on a sunday and ask how many members are against homosexuality. It will be way more than 52% lol.

All I'm saying is, if you're against Islam for its teachings, then you should be against Christianity too. (if you bothered to even research it)

ReputationRep:
    The number of ex-Muslims apparently is on the rise too but there aren't many statistics referring to it as most keep quiet about leaving the faith. Pretty surprised the number of irreligious people has dropped.

ReputationRep:
    This really all comes down to a fear of death and what happens after.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prazzyjazzy)
    I'm not saying non-religious people are smart enough not to have a :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:load of children - but that's exactly what I'm saying.
    How does having fewer children make you smart?

ReputationRep:

Apart from the fact that most Christians follow the NT rather than the OT, most don't claim that it is the immutable and infallible word of god, as acceptable and applicable now as it was 1400 years ago.

Point a Christian to the verses in the OT that permit slavery and they will tell you that those verses no longer apply and that slavery is always wrong.
    Point a Muslim to the verses in the Quran that permit slavery and they will defend the principle of slavery in Islam.

ReputationRep:
    Christianity advocates these things too? Christianity is against homosexuality too? Just because christians in the west aren't for these things doesn;t mean the bible doesnt say it?
    This is the difference between Christianity and Islam. Many Christians are quite comfortable rejecting and condemning elements of the Old Testament. Find me one Muslim who will reject and condemn elements of the Quran (who is still regarded as a Muslim by other Muslims).
    No?
    Didn't think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    Pretty surprised the number of irreligious people has dropped.
    It hasn't. It is rising.
    According to this study, "not religious" is now the largest self-identified religiously-defined group in the world, at 33%, which is larger than eithe Christianity or Islam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    This is the difference between Christianity and Islam. Many Christians are quite comfortable rejecting and condemning elements of the Old Testament. Find me one Muslim who will reject and condemn elements of the Quran (who is still regarded as a Muslim by other Muslims).
    No?
    Didn't think so.
    Theres plenty of muslims who condemn parts of the Quran.

The same way there are plenty of Christian who condemn parts of the Old testament? Ok, so these christians wont be considered christian by other christians. The same way muslims who dont agree with some parts of the quran will have other muslims say theyre no longer muslim?

And what?

We're all allowed to have opinions. If I don't agree with the death penalty for homosexuality and another muslim tells me I'm not a muslim anymore, does that mean I'm not a muslim? No, because its between me and Allah, not anyone else, its no one elses choice. A christian who is against the death penalty is still a christian, why would it be different?

ReputationRep:
    Birth rates, not conversion. Fasting growing "religion" in terms of conversion will be atheism by far, I'd wager.

Christianity advocates these things too? Christianity is against homosexuality too? Just because christians in the west aren't for these things doesn;t mean the bible doesnt say it? And you cant say they 'denounce' parts of their religion, again, just because a christian denounces part of their religion, doesn't mean its not there.
    >"research christianity"
    >doesn't understand how most Christian denominations actually use the bible

10/10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Birth rates, not conversion. Fasting growing "religion" in terms of conversion will be atheism by far, I'd wager.

>"research christianity"
    >doesn't understand how most Christian denominations actually use the bible

10/10
    As an ex-christian, I think I know enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prazzyjazzy)
    I disagree. I had two because we could afford two. I'd have loved more but financially not viable. My religion has nothing to do with my ability to do the maths!!!!! If you are referring to African/Asian countries, that is to do with culture not religion

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.