mo-on
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
#1
I've finally decided that Leeds uni is going to be my firm choice.

Leeds wants ABB, but my other offers are all wanting over ABB, except Northumbria (which is like 80 points) but I haven't even been to see Northumbria -- I'm not committed to it, I don't want to go there.

I know choosing an insurance offer is optional, and I was going to just decline the other 4, but then my friend said it was 'risky as' and made me question my decision.

Should I just put it as my insurance anyway, or just accept that I may have to go through clearing? Either way I'm going to be hoping that I come out with ABB in August.

What do yous think?
0
reply
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
#2
Report 3 years ago
#2
(Original post by mo-on)
I've finally decided that Leeds uni is going to be my firm choice.

Leeds wants ABB, but my other offers are all wanting over ABB, except Northumbria (which is like 80 points) but I haven't even been to see Northumbria -- I'm not committed to it, I don't want to go there.

I know choosing an insurance offer is optional, and I was going to just decline the other 4, but then my friend said it was 'risky as' and made me question my decision.

Should I just put it as my insurance anyway, or just accept that I may have to go through clearing? Either way I'm going to be hoping that I come out with ABB in August.

What do yous think?
Better to not have an insurance and get put straight into clearing than have to get out of an insurance choice you don't want to be in.
2
reply
Razvan_T
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#3
Report 3 years ago
#3
Research some more on Northumbria and take your own decision. If you really hate it don't put it as insurance, but do a thorough research before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
0
reply
Artjen
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
#4
Report 3 years ago
#4
Don't have an insurance, but research some unis you might try through Clearing so you have a contingency plan.
0
reply
EmmaCx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
#5
Report 3 years ago
#5
(Original post by mo-on)
I've finally decided that Leeds uni is going to be my firm choice.

Leeds wants ABB, but my other offers are all wanting over ABB, except Northumbria (which is like 80 points) but I haven't even been to see Northumbria -- I'm not committed to it, I don't want to go there.

I know choosing an insurance offer is optional, and I was going to just decline the other 4, but then my friend said it was 'risky as' and made me question my decision.

Should I just put it as my insurance anyway, or just accept that I may have to go through clearing? Either way I'm going to be hoping that I come out with ABB in August.

What do yous think?
Yes it's risky, but it's still just as risky picking an insurance choice as well (even if you like the insurance choice). If you don't like the other four universities, then decline them. Don't think that just because both universities are asking for over ABB that it would be a poor insurance choice, if you want to go there. It's possible that one of them would consider you if you just missed your mark.
I would definitely research what universities have the course up in clearing. Write down the appropriate contact details, their entry requirements etc. Really make sure that the universities you're writing down on your clearing list are universities that you want to go to as well though!
If you can't see any that you like, then consider taking a gap year. You could always build up your work experience, do a course / apprenticeship etc and reapply next year.
0
reply
Razvan_T
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#6
Report 3 years ago
#6
Research is king my man.

Posted from TSR Mobile
0
reply
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#7
Report 3 years ago
#7
(Original post by mo-on)
What do yous think?
I'm going to make a wild guess and surmise you are Northern Irish.... there are LOTS of Northern Irish students at Northumbria. I'm told the craic is mighty It might be worth at least visiting before you decide for sure.

But no, if you only really want to go to Leeds just Firm there and don't have an insurance. Less than 10% end up at the insurance... and you won't be one of them because you're going to make your offer anyway
0
reply
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#8
Report 3 years ago
#8
(Original post by mo-on)
Leeds wants ABB, but my other offers are all wanting over ABB,
Why not accept one of the other universities as your insurance (as long as you would want to go there, of course)? You have nothing to lose. If you get ABB you go to your first choice and there is a chance that either Leeds or the insurance will be lenient if you don't get ABB. If they aren't then you will be in clearing on day 1, having lost nothing.

Do not accept an offer that you would not wish to take up.
0
reply
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
#9
Report 3 years ago
#9
(Original post by mo-on)
I've finally decided that Leeds uni is going to be my firm choice.

Leeds wants ABB, but my other offers are all wanting over ABB, except Northumbria (which is like 80 points) but I haven't even been to see Northumbria -- I'm not committed to it, I don't want to go there.

I know choosing an insurance offer is optional, and I was going to just decline the other 4, but then my friend said it was 'risky as' and made me question my decision.

Should I just put it as my insurance anyway, or just accept that I may have to go through clearing? Either way I'm going to be hoping that I come out with ABB in August.

What do yous think?
What course are you going to study? I've put Northumbria down as my insurance so I can give you more info (been to the open day and applicants day)
0
reply
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#10
Report 3 years ago
#10
(Original post by Good bloke)
Why not accept one of the other universities as your insurance (as long as you would want to go there, of course)? You have nothing to lose. If you get ABB you go to your first choice and there is a chance that either Leeds or the insurance will be lenient if you don't get ABB. If they aren't then you will be in clearing on day 1, having lost nothing.

Do not accept an offer that you would not wish to take up.
I agree about not insuring unless it is a place you actually want.

But the slight downside of having an insurance can be the added delay before being released into clearing in the event you miss their offer too. The reality is it's probably just as likely that Leeds will accept a near miss, as an insurance making the same offer.
0
reply
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#11
Report 3 years ago
#11
(Original post by Doonesbury)
But the slight downside of having an insurance can be the added delay before being released into clearing in the event you miss their offer too. The reality is it's probably just as likely that Leeds will accept a near miss, as an insurance making the same offer.
I take your point, but the risk that the insurance university would delay a rejection longer than the lower-offer Leeds would seems a low one to me.
0
reply
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#12
Report 3 years ago
#12
(Original post by Good bloke)
I take your point, but the risk that the insurance university would delay a rejection longer than the lower-offer Leeds would seems a low one to me.
AFAIK, the insured university doesn't even start looking at their insurance offers until the firm rejects the applicant. (I might be wrong on that...)
0
reply
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#13
Report 3 years ago
#13
(Original post by Doonesbury)
I might be wrong on that.
I believe you are. The two universities get grade information simultaneously and can each make their confirmation or rejection during the early part of results week, so release into clearing depends on whichever is the slower (if one does not do it before results day). I know one person who can definitely confirm the truth of the matter: PQ
0
reply
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#14
Report 3 years ago
#14
(Original post by Doonesbury)
AFAIK, the insured university doesn't even start looking at their insurance offers until the firm rejects the applicant. (I might be wrong on that...)
(Original post by Good bloke)
I believe you are. The two universities get grade information simultaneously and can each make their confirmation or rejection during the early part of results week, so release into clearing depends on whichever is the slower (if one does not do it before results day). I know one person who can definitely confirm the truth of the matter: PQ
You're both right and wrong.

In most cases universities will process insurance applicants alongside firm applicants during the week prior to results.

A SMALL number of lazy universities don't look at insurance applicants at all until they're rejected by their firm choice. That's not because they can't but because they're trying to minimise workload (at the expense of applicant experience).

I'd always say it's worth having an insurance higher than a firm if it's somewhere the OP would really like to go to. It doubles the chance of an alternate course offer or acceptance with a range of results (eg if the OP got A*A*C then they'd technically miss their firm and might be rejected but that spread of results might be more acceptable to their insurance). There shouldn't be any problems/delays in arranging to be placed into clearing if the insurance is the OPs genuine second favourite offer.
0
reply
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#15
Report 3 years ago
#15
(Original post by PQ)
You're both right and wrong.

In most cases universities will process insurance applicants alongside firm applicants during the week prior to results.

A SMALL number of lazy universities don't look at insurance applicants at all until they're rejected by their firm choice. That's not because they can't but because they're trying to minimise workload (at the expense of applicant experience).

I'd always say it's worth having an insurance higher than a firm if it's somewhere the OP would really like to go to. It doubles the chance of an alternate course offer or acceptance with a range of results (eg if the OP got A*A*C then they'd technically miss their firm and might be rejected but that spread of results might be more acceptable to their insurance). There shouldn't be any problems/delays in arranging to be placed into clearing if the insurance is the OPs genuine second favourite offer.
Thanks!

And at least none of the OPs choices are Durham.......................... .........

Posted from TSR Mobile
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (375)
56.39%
I don't have everything I need (290)
43.61%

Watched Threads

View All