annmaria
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am just so confused now!!!! My ambition is to become a doctor. Now I am in s4. I know about work experiences but I don't know how much experience you need and any other important steps needed to become a doctor. I also know about the UKCAT test. Can someone explain everything a bit clearly( I know my question is a bit confusing)
Stoody
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by annmaria)
I am just so confused now!!!! My ambition is to become a doctor. Now I am in s4. I know about work experiences but I don't know how much experience you need and any other important steps needed to become a doctor. I also know about the UKCAT test. Can someone explain everything a bit clearly( I know my question is a bit confusing)
Basically you'll need to get really good grades at higher like AAABB- at least- with chemistry with some outside activities and a solid personal statement because it's one of the most competitive courses there are
annmaria
Rep:
?
Thanks but do you know how much work experience is needed?
Stoody
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm not sure for medicine but from what I've seen, they look for outstanding grades more than anything
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Voluntary work +/- work experience is absolutely vital for medicine. Its essentially a requirement. Most people have a long-term voluntary placement - say once per week at a nursing home for 6 months - as well as some sort of work experience, ranging from shadowing consultants for a week to shadowing at a GP reception or pharmacy.

Sometimes these placements can be difficult to get - its a sad truth that having connections and/or being from a well connected private school gives you a huge advantage in this area, but its so important that you mustn't take no for an answer. Especially for the volunteering - ensure you have something and that you write about it well in your personal statement.
annmaria
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
Voluntary work +/- work experience is absolutely vital for medicine. Its essentially a requirement. Most people have a long-term voluntary placement - say once per week at a nursing home for 6 months - as well as some sort of work experience, ranging from shadowing consultants for a week to shadowing at a GP reception or pharmacy.

Sometimes these placements can be difficult to get - its a sad truth that having connections and/or being from a well connected private school gives you a huge advantage in this area, but its so important that you mustn't take no for an answer. Especially for the volunteering - ensure you have something and that you write about it well in your personal statement.
thanks for helping.
annmaria
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stoody)
I'm not sure for medicine but from what I've seen, they look for outstanding grades more than anything
thanks for helping
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (17)
19.1%
I'm not sure (2)
2.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (24)
26.97%
I have already dropped out (3)
3.37%
I'm not a current university student (43)
48.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise