The Student Room Group

UK companies told they must publish gender pay data

UK companies with more than 250 employees must release gender pay data. For the first time, over 9000 companies must measure and then report on how they pay men and women.

The Chartered Management Institute (CMI) calls it "unprecedented transparency".

Although it is not obligatory, the government is encouraging companies to publish an "action plan" alongside their figures, demonstrating the steps they will take to close the gender pay gap within their organisation.

Full article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39513573
Reply 1
Labour must be in chaos right now, this was their only reasonable social reform policy.. uh oh.
Good, when all the social justice warriors see that there is absolutely no difference at all in pay, maybe they'll shut up. In this country, they don't give you less money because you're a woman, how can they? Minimum wage is minimum wage, jobs like nursing, teaching, etc. have equal set salaries for men and women, etc.
Reply 3
Original post by chelseadagg3r
UK companies with more than 250 employees must release gender pay data. For the first time, over 9000 companies must measure and then report on how they pay men and women.

The Chartered Management Institute (CMI) calls it "unprecedented transparency".

Although it is not obligatory, the government is encouraging companies to publish an "action plan" alongside their figures, demonstrating the steps they will take to close the gender pay gap within their organisation.

Full article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39513573

Troubling. It's a bit strange that the government is asking companies to release this information and in the same breath asking for an "action plan". They're assuming that any differences in pay, which by the way evidently exists otherwise this wouldn't be news, must be due to some form of discrimination. Instead, the government should be cautious and thorough, and advise against action at this early point. All other alternative explanations should be exhausted before we claiming it is a societal problem.
Never ending cycle.

They will find a PAY gap, but they won't find an EARNINGS gap (which they won't bother looking for).

Ugh.
The way in which it is being done is utterly ham-fisted, asking for medians of pay without looking at hours worked etc is :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: data collection and will simply give SJWs meaningless data.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And in the next episode of "what happened to the so-called Conservative party..."

Original post by Dandaman1
Hopefully they will include important information, like hours worked, qualifications, years at the company, age, etc. Leaving these things out is already part of what makes the pay gap incredibly misleading.

Also, as this is not obligatory, I highly doubt any employers will voluntarily release information showing they've been breaking the law! So what's the point?

I'm sure the businesses will want to portray the information accurately, and the government will want it to be presented in an intellectually dishonest manner
Hopefully they will include important information, like hours worked, qualifications, years at the company, age, etc. Leaving these things out is already part of what makes the pay gap incredibly misleading.

Also, as this is not obligatory, I highly doubt any employers will voluntarily release information showing they've been breaking the law! And even if they aren't breaking any laws, employers may still be reluctant to release pay information, not only because it's private, but because legal differences in pay between male and female staff would still look bad on the surface.

So I don't see this as being particularly useful. It may even scare employers into giving female employees unearned pay increases.
Original post by Dandaman1

Also, as this is not obligatory, I highly doubt any employers will voluntarily release information showing they've been breaking the law! And even if they aren't breaking any laws, employers may still be reluctant to release pay information, not only because it's private, but because legal differences in pay between male and female staff would still look bad on the surface.

So I don't see this as being particularly useful. It may even scare employers into giving female employees unearned pay increases.

I think that's the point.
Reply 9
Original post by Glassapple
Good, when all the social justice warriors see that there is absolutely no difference at all in pay, maybe they'll shut up. In this country, they don't give you less money because you're a woman, how can they? Minimum wage is minimum wage, jobs like nursing, teaching, etc. have equal set salaries for men and women, etc.

This. How long has it been illegal to pay women less in this country now? If there are any ****s that do pay someone less simply for being a woman, then sort it out, but I have a hard time believing such a company would exist in this country tbh, so I do wonder what the point of this is given the so called 'pay gap', is actually an earnings gap that doesn't account for important factors, how many more times does this need to be said?
As has already been said, they WILL find a pay gap ... that doesn't mean that there is sexist discrimination going on etc. but they clearly aren't interested in finding out what is going on, rather they just want to find evidence to back up their assertion that there is sexist pay discrimination going on. Utter waste of time. If you're just searching for evidence to back up a certain view point then you will find t, you just won't be finding the truth.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending