Ratios into fractions????? Watch

Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
i'm a GCSE student and I'm really confused about changing ratios into fractions. I used to think that to express a ratio as a fraction you added the two numbers up for the denominator and then had 'either of the numbers' as the numerator. e.g. if the number of boys to girls was 2:3 surely 2/5 are boys and 3/5 are girls. but then I watched this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9_3ChJ8yzM

and I just don't get it. please help!!!!!
t
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
i'm a GCSE student and I'm really confused about changing ratios into fractions. I used to think that to express a ratio as a fraction you added the two numbers up for the denominator and then had 'either of the numbers' as the numerator. e.g. if the number of boys to girls was 2:3 surely 2/5 are boys and 3/5 are girls. but then I watched this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9_3ChJ8yzM

and I just don't get it. please help!!!!!
You are correct, when you want to compare the numbers of each student, you separate the ratio and you can say that out of 5 people there are 2 boys and 3 girls. However what that video is trying to explain is the proportion of boys compared to girls. Think about it this way, when usually calculating proportions you would divide one variable by the other right? Essentially the same ratio 2:3 is written in fractional form - since dividing 2/5 by 3/5, gets you 2/3!
Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by I <3 WORK)
You are correct, when you want to compare the numbers of each student, you separate the ratio and you can say that out of 5 people there are 2 boys and 3 girls. However what that video is trying to explain is the proportion of boys compared to girls. Think about it this way, when usually calculating proportions you would divide one variable by the other right? Essentially the same ratio 2:3 is written in fractional form - since dividing 2/5 by 3/5, gets you 2/3!
thanks for the help. so would i be right in saying there is 3/2 times as many girls as boys?
Tarick
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
thanks for the help. so would i be right in saying there is 3/2 times as many girls as boys?
yes
t
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's perfectly correct - and that's why you can even write the ratio as 3:2 if you're comparing girls to boys.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (127)
19.51%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (62)
9.52%
No I am happy with my course choice (368)
56.53%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (94)
14.44%

Watched Threads