The Student Room Group

C7/B7/P7 (OCR 21ST CENTURY) Revision thread for 2017 exams

Scroll to see replies

Guessing there's no unofficial mark scheme for this one huh.
Original post by tereziscool
Guessing there's no unofficial mark scheme for this one huh.

Available here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4795614
They've asked about parallax and cepheid variables in 2014, 15 and 16 so is it likely to come again?
Oh thank you! I did not see that.
I'm so worried for P7, as I've literally had to teach it all to myself.
I wouldn't be surprised if diffraction comes up this year, especially a question where you have to draw the waves go through a gap of some size.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
I'm so worried for P7, as I've literally had to teach it all to myself.

Same!! The one I'm most worried for :frown:
Any P7 predictions?
What is the lowest you can get in the three chemistry exams and the controlled assessment to get an a* overall? (also biology and physics)
Original post by ghghghr4
What is the lowest you can get in the three chemistry exams and the controlled assessment to get an a* overall? (also biology and physics)

You need 360/400 UMS, so on average, 90 UMS in each. The boundary for 90 UMS changes each year for each exam and assessment, so it depends.
Original post by aaronbrooks17
You need 360/400 UMS, so on average, 90 UMS in each. The boundary for 90 UMS changes each year for each exam and assessment, so it depends.

i mean individual grades on each of the papers (like raw mark)
Anyone got a copy of the p7 2016 paper? If not, anyone know what the 6 marker were?
Original post by TheExtremeGoat
Anyone got a copy of the p7 2016 paper? If not, anyone know what the 6 marker were?

Pros and cons of a space telescope.
Using Cepheids in galaxies to work out a value for the Hubble constant.
Sidereal, solar and lunar days.
hey guys here is the 2016 higher paper with the ms. please share
Reply 174
Original post by Pralish
hey guys here is the 2016 higher paper with the ms. please share

donny
Computer controlled telescopes and retrograde motion. If these don't come up, then OCR are toying with us.
Original post by TheMightyBadger
Computer controlled telescopes and retrograde motion. If these don't come up, then OCR are toying with us.

Yeah I think it's likely. Only as 2 markers though as I feel there's not a lot to say about them.
In terms of 6 markers I'm thinking:
Solar eclipses
Curtis-shapely debate
Life cycle of a star/nuclear fusion
Yeah I think it's likely. Only as 2 markers though as I feel there's not a lot to say about them.
Solar eclipses
Curtis-shapely debate

Computer controlled telescopes and using local/remote telescopes is possible. It is the only part in P7.5 that has never been tested. Although all of those six markers have come up before, I reckon those topics will definitely come up, but I am doubting whether they would be the 6 markers; I prefer to just predict topics. I think that the moon will definitely come up (e.g. lunar cycle or lunar eclipse). Diffraction is also a possibility. E = mc^2 might come up; it has come up almost very year. You can expect there to be questions on gas laws.

I do agree with you about retrograde motion being a 2 marker. We will probably have to explain it using a diagram or just state what it is.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TheMightyBadger
Computer controlled telescopes and using local/remote telescopes is possible. It is the only part in P7.5 that has never been tested. Although all of those six markers have come up before, I reckon those topics will definitely come up, but I am doubting whether they would be the 6 markers; I prefer to just predict topics. I think that the moon will definitely come up (e.g. lunar cycle or lunar eclipse). Diffraction is also a possibility. E = mc^2 might come up; it has come up almost very year. You can expect there to be questions on gas laws.

I do agree with you about retrograde motion being a 2 marker. We will probably have to explain it using a diagram or just state what it is.

They could always add some data analysis to retrograde motion to get it to a 6 marker.

Is there anything else they could ask about the moon except the moon phases and lunar days?

Solar eclipses
Curtis-shapely debate

I agree with those predictions - solar eclipses will be how they occur and why they happen infrequently; life cycle of a star I could see going two ways - either the full cycle like formation of a protostar and either high mass/low mass. Or asking how mass affects life cycle of a star.

Reckon we'll get something on the HR diagram - maybe why supernovas aren't on there. Lenses was also badly answered last year so I think we'll get something on those.

In terms of repeating 6 markers - the B7 exam had 2 6 markers very similar to precious years, the blood components one was a foundation one a while back and timber harvesting was last years
(edited 6 years ago)
Guys I've been awake since 4:30 revising P7 and I hate my life. I cannot wait to be finished!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending