The Student Room Group
Original post by jamesmarti1
I have been denied student finance because I have ''moved to Wales wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education.'', I am utterly perplexed and distraught when receiving the letter stating I am not eligible. Can someone please help to explain to me what this means.
I have been living in Wales for 15 years.

Call them up, I m sure with some residency evidence it can be fixed
I have been denied student finance because I have ''moved to Wales wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education.'', I am utterly perplexed and distraught when receiving the letter stating I am not eligible. Can someone please help to explain to me what this means.

You can't receive student finance if the only reason you moved to Wales (or any country in the UK) is for educational purposes.

Do you have any proof that you didn't move here just for education?
Have you lived in Wales/UK for less than three years? http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/media/8583/sfw_fs_eligibility_1415_en_d.pdf
Reply 4
Original post by Tiger Rag
You can't receive student finance if the only reason you moved to Wales (or any country in the UK) is for educational purposes.

Do you have any proof that you didn't move here just for education?

What proof would be appropriate.
ps. Im 18, I moved here with my family when I was 3.
What proof would be appropriate.
ps. Im 18, I moved here with my family when I was 3.

I can see that this might be an issue if you had initially started at boarding school whilst your parents lived elsewhere and they had only subsequently moved to Wales (I assume this wasn't the case with an older sibling?), but to turn you down when you have been living there since before the infant school admission age seems perverse. Is there any way that your father's or mother's employer could supply evidence of them having moved to Wales in order to take up employment (if that was the case)?
Reply 6
Original post by Isinglass
I can see that this might be an issue if you had initially started at boarding school whilst your parents lived elsewhere and they had only subsequently moved to Wales (I assume this wasn't the case with an older sibling?), but to turn you down when you have been living there since before the infant school admission age seems perverse. Is there any way that your father's or mother's employer could supply evidence of them having moved to Wales in order to take up employment (if that was the case)?

I have an older sister who had no problem with her student finance, there should be some evidence of that somewhere around the house. Thankyou very much for the information, will keep you updated on the status of the phone call tomorrow.
I have an older sister who had no problem with her student finance, there should be some evidence of that somewhere around the house. Thankyou very much for the information, will keep you updated on the status of the phone call tomorrow.

How odd. I was half expecting you to say you were over 25 (therefore, old enough to be an independent student) and had lived here for 3 years, which could possibly be enough evidence in their eyes that you've moved here for education. But I can't see anything in your post which states this. After all, at 3, you don't exactly have a say in where you live...
Reply 8
Original post by Tiger Rag
How odd. I was half expecting you to say you were over 25 (therefore, old enough to be an independent student) and had lived here for 3 years, which could possibly be enough evidence in their eyes that you've moved here for education. But I can't see anything in your post which states this. After all, at 3, you don't exactly have a say in where you live...

The whole situation confuses me, I didn't think I would have a problem seeing as my sister already went through the whole process without any problems, and the fact I've lived here for so long now (almost all my life). Im hoping the problem doesn't worsen and should be a quick fix after I call them tomorrow.
Reply 9
The whole situation confuses me, I didn't think I would have a problem seeing as my sister already went through the whole process without any problems, and the fact I've lived here for so long now (almost all my life). Im hoping the problem doesn't worsen and should be a quick fix after I call them tomorrow.

Well, turns out it was all due to my ignorance, I ticked the 'moved for full time education ' box. Thanks for the help and your time.
Well, turns out it was all due to my ignorance, I ticked the 'moved for full time education ' box. Thanks for the help and your time.

At least things have been resolved.
Original post by MyNameIsUsername
Wow. There is no way I could read this and not reply.

Every 'human being' deserves an education.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It wouldn't be a problem if all the people that came here to study previously then contributed to the country they always claim to love back in Africa. Fact is they use and abuse their status for their own personal gain, and don't a damn about their fellow countrymen or women.
Guys - keep it friendly please.

OP - glad you got it sorted.
Original post by ChristopherHuey
It wouldn't be a problem if all the people that came here to study previously then contributed to the country they always claim to love back in Africa. Fact is they use and abuse their status for their own personal gain, and don't a damn about their fellow countrymen or women.

He formed two absurd arguments against OP with no firm evidence. First one being that he is an Indian and second being that he is trying to cheat the system.

Otherwise, I am all up for strict measurements against fraudsters. Especially those who try to avoid paying taxes.

Have a good day sir.
Going to close this one now. The OP's question has been answered and despite me requesting people to stop, some people are posting racist comments.

Latest

Trending

Trending