What really happens when you die?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Would you be alone forever? or would you just cease to exsist.

I don't want a religious perspective as I have had enough of that forced down my throat at catholic school

I just want to know whaat you believe happens when you die.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
And I want this anon because I just dont want this question attached to my username forever.
annsmith
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I know your family will hurt a very long time. I lost a sister. I don't think my parents ever got over it.

I think religion tries to help people sort this question out, but unless you believe in something, we really don't know.

I know we share atoms with everything in the world. We say that when our bodies die, we go back to the earth... but really our atoms change about once every two years. Our body is not the same as it was a while ago, so in that respect we are always sharing with others.

I think when we make a positive difference in other people's lives, we have a kind of immortality. I can think of people who are dead now but i knew once. They were kind to me. They helped make me who i am. They influenced me and live on, in a way, through me.

I'm glad you asked this question, because i keep forgetting that. I've felt grumpy and snippish lately. That's not what i want to be about. When i was a kid, some people were very cruel, and some were very kind. The kind ones i remember with such fondness! That is what i wish to be like in other people's lives.

What about you?
asdasta
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You die and it's just black - nothing. Of course, it's not really black because you won't see anything, as you'll be dead, but you know what I mean.

That's what I think, and it's the only thing that makes sense to me.
Ang|ophi|e
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't think there is any right answer to this. We as individuals have our own opinions on death. I am a Hindu, and I believe we are reincarnated. But that doesn't mean I don't think/talk about heaven and hell. For all we could know, nothing happens. And the purpose of being religious would be a bit of waste. I believe religion should be apart of your life, not your whole life. But that's getting slightly off-topic. :p:

It's amazing how in one second someone can be alive and kicking, yet the next they are gone forever. It's just a cycle that is repeated. Our birth marks our beginning and our death marks our end. Some look at death as sad, but not necessarily. There are a lot of people in this world who are in pain. In your old age, most are just waiting for death. Immortality, although cool in retrospect, is not something I would want.

We should be happy and enjoy the moments we have with the ones we love. After all, life is short, when compared to time.
mouse_mat
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Would you be alone forever? or would you just cease to exsist.

I don't want a religious perspective as I have had enough of that forced down my throat at catholic school

I just want to know whaat you believe happens when you die.
nothing. proof: ask something dead.
silverbolt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
There is answer because we dont know - even people who beleievt here is something after death dont know for sure.
Rob764
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
A lot of people who barely knew you take the opportunity to turn out in droves and act heartbroken. A guy I used to sprint with died a couple of years ago, and people REALLY started coming out the woodwork that none of us, his long-term friends, had ever seen before. People would be walking around saying how upset they were, when I think they had barely exchanged two words with the guy. It even turned out that one girl who was 'traumatised' by his sudden death had been saying his name wrong whenever she spoke out it.
But I digress.
I would like to hope that there is some sort of life after death. It does seem a sort of an anti-climax for it to all suddenly end in darkness.
herbal bug
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'd like to hope that there is a life after death, in which we are forgiven and not doomed just because we do not believe in a God. However I think that when we die, we die and that's it. However we cannot know for sure so that's why we have religon.
mouse_mat
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Rob764)
I would like to hope that there is some sort of life after death. It does seem a sort of an anti-climax for it to all suddenly end in darkness.
"Gaze into the abyss and the abyss gazes into you". Great quote. Probably misquted it. Can't remember who said it.
Rob764
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mouse_mat)
"Gaze into the abyss and the abyss gazes into you". Great quote. Probably misquted it. Can't remember who said it.
It was Nietzsche I think:confused:
username62978
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I recently watched a team of christians doing a religious mission. What they were saying to try to get people to believe in Jesus was "Jesus died for you so that you can be forgiven and have an eternal life with him".

I realise that this is one of the reasons many people choose religion - they are afraid of death and the cessation of thought and being, and want to continue living forever.

I, on the other hand, thought what a sad thing it must be to live forever, in any way. Imagine there is an afterlife - you go on living and thinking once you have left this world. A happy day in your life would pale into insignificance when compared with the eternity you spend. 10,000 years would be just the same as ten seconds, everything would merge and become meaningless.

Try to remember 10 years ago, it's not like you can remember all details of all the days, but chance memories surface and stick out beyond all the rest. Maybe 4 or 5 memories from a single year. Now imagine you had to remember that time after 1000 years - it would barely have existed. If you read a book that went on forever you just wouldn't read it - you need the conclusion, and to know it's leading somewhere.

I believe that life, like a story, is meaningless without a beginning and an end.
Chruchill
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mouse_mat)
Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil. It is one of my favourite quotes.

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee.
noodles!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's one of those things that NOONE can tell us the answer to, we just have to wait and see what happens to us.
Toiletpaper8
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't believe we can truly die.
mashw
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think once our brain can no longer function, whether that is because of trauma or cell atrophy and deterioration, our biology ceases to have consciousness.

It will be like before we were all born, which wasn't that bad at all lol.
Jackathon
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't know.
I know what I'd like to think, is, the typical view of heaven. Loved ones that you've lost. It might not be true, but it helps with the grieving period, and it does give people hope.
But I find it quite hard to believe in that. Its just something nice... Something I like to believe in, more than I believe in it. That doesn't make any sense does it?
BibbleJW
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I know it sounds strange, with quotes from Nietzsche coming out, but the view I most agree with came from a TV show. House to be precise.
I don't believe in life after death, there is no proof either way, and we choose the option that makes us more comfortable. Does it make me more comfortable to think there is nothingness waiting for me? It makes me more comfortable thinking that this is not just a test.
HipsAndHearts
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I asked my friend who died for a bit during an operation and she said she didnt realise she had died. So I expect we just get decomposed, how grim.
noodles!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I like reading about things like that where people "die" and come back to life, but I never know what to make of it 'cause it just all seems so extraordinary to me.

I'd like to think that when I die there is nothing, I suppose- that we just sort of cease to exist. BUT

Has anyone ever watched "Have I Been Here Before?" on ITV? I found that interesting too, so maybe we do come back but don't know it until it's tested.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (15)
25.86%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.9%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
62.07%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads