The Student Room Group

Eating meat is as bad as smoking/doing drugs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cherub012
Plants arent conscious

Plants aren't conscious? So would you eat an embryo? It's not conscious
Original post by JamesN88
Lol, I'd love them to back up the claim on their link that that meat production is responsible for 51% of emissions.

Not cars, lorries, shipping, planes, power plants, factories etc.

So, veggies concerned with greenhouse gas emissions - when are you going to stop using electricity and motorised transport?
Original post by That'sGreat
Plants aren't conscious? So would you eat an embryo? It's not conscious

I wouldn't eat an embryo coz its weird af.
Original post by WoodyMKC

So, veggies concerned with greenhouse gas emissions - when are you going to stop using electricity and motorised transport?

Cows produce methane, not CO2 (apart from respiring).
Everyone who agrees with OP or is, in fact, OP should read this article:

https://authoritynutrition.com/8-ridiculous-myths-about-meat-and-health/

Also, next time OP when making an argument where you talk about scientific evidence, please at least show where you're getting your sources from...
The only solid part of your argument is the ethics but even that fails a couple words in when you say that in this era it is cruel.
You SHOULD be focusing on the fact that were all meat production to stop it would significantly decrease the positive feedback loop that is climate change / global warming whatever you want to call the buildup of a surplus of greenhouse gas in our atmosphere. Cows producing methane, etc. all gone. Not to mention the huge amounts of land undergoing desertification (I think that's what it's called) and land that could be used to grow large amounts of food for those without. You get the idea but please educate yourself on all sides of an argument instead of latching on to one opinion thinking you know what you're talking about.
Original post by Jessika300599
That is why our ancestors only lived up until they were about 40 years old- they only ate meat.

Eating meat isn't the problem here eating ONLY meat is also if you think that the only thing that has changed since that time is our diet you are beyond retarded.

Rice farming produces way more, where is the anti rice thread.

Humans produce methane also.
Original post by DogeOfDisaproval
Rice farming produces way more, where is the anti rice thread.

Meh maybe. I heard soya production harms the environment someway.

Humans produce methane also.

Cows produce way more - just pointing out how your graph wasn't really useful.
I really like studies like this they always have the opposite affect of what the person doing them is trying to achieve. Now I know I can start some hardcore coke snorting and feel more worse than I do about having a juicy steak.
Meh maybe. I heard soya production harms the environment someway.

Cows produce way more - just pointing out how your graph wasn't really useful.

On a cow by cow basis, yes, but the cow population compared to the human population in terms of numbers, means humans produce more collectively.
It's useful because electricity and motorised transport are two of the biggest causes of emissions - if the veggies were really concerned about emissions, would they also not be rallying for us to no longer use these things and abstain from using them themselves?
Original post by DogeOfDisaproval
Eating meat isn't the problem here eating ONLY meat is also if you think that the only thing that has changed since that time is our diet you are beyond retarded.

[video="youtube;v450zJSwVHs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v450zJSwVHs[/video]
On a cow by cow basis, yes, but the cow population compared to the human population in terms of numbers, means humans produce more collectively.
It's useful because electricity and motorised transport are two of the biggest causes of emissions - if the veggies were really concerned about emissions, would they also not be rallying for us to no longer use these things and abstain from using them themselves?

Some of the vegans who are environmentalists do.
Original post by Jessika300599
[video="youtube;v450zJSwVHs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v450zJSwVHs[/video]

First you claim meat eating is bad because it's unhealthy (which when eaten as part of a balanced diet it is not) and now you bring up the fact that it is bad for the environment I think you don't actually care about it's environmental impact or as I already said this wouldn't be an anti meat thread since there are other things that are far worse for the environment.
Some of the vegans who are environmentalists do.

Indeed, but the vast majority that use emissions to push their agenda clearly don't really care about emissions, or they'd put some environmentalist ideals into practice.
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
PDF document from WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature) which I think is probably worth reading, it highlight some of the environmental issues that come with being vegetarian / vegan.

My main issue with it is the fact that we'd need far more land space to be able to grow enough produce, which means more forests are likely to be cut down, which would then mean more animals are having their habitats destroyed. The land required for all these crops to replace beef and lamb is about 1,352 kilo hectares (kha), compared with about 135 kha to supply concentrates for ruminant meat now.

Not to mention the fact that the crops will most likely be covered in pesticides which means that any insects once inhabiting the area will inevitably start to decline. I believe you also have the right to shoot animals such as deer if they are causing damage to crops in some places, and other forms of preventing damage caused by these animals are using dogs, and electric and non-electric fences.

As far as I'm concerned, not eating meat is actually doing more harm to animals than if we were to continue eating it.

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Drewski

The idea they wouldn't advertise these 'facts' because some companies would stand to lose money is moronic.

You what?
Original post by CyanPolygon
Everyone who agrees with OP or is, in fact, OP should read this article:

https://authoritynutrition.com/8-ridiculous-myths-about-meat-and-health/

Also, next time OP when making an argument where you talk about scientific evidence, please at least show where you're getting your sources from...
The only solid part of your argument is the ethics but even that fails a couple words in when you say that in this era it is cruel.

M8, drugs aren't that bad either.
I find the evolutionary argument more persuasive. When you look at how amazingly humans evolved, I just don't believe that we have been eating something bad for us for our entire history. When we have evolved to have such a powerful brain, surely we would have evolved to eat the right food.

It's very difficult casual statistical link between meat and health and if someone claims to have done it, I don't believe them. They are more likely to be ideologically driven or have messed the numbers up.

Quick Reply

Latest