Turn on thread page Beta

22 and never worked in my life but I want to work watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 22 years old, never had a job and never had work experience. I'd like to job but that'd mean I'd have to come off ESA benifit. I finished college almost 3 years ago with a BTEC level 3 in Photogrpaby but was unsuccessful with getting into university even though I had the required grades so yeah I've been stuck in limbo ever since.

ReputationRep:
    What are you playing at ? Get a job.

ReputationRep:
    get a job then..? it isnt hard.. ive had 4 since 17

ReputationRep:
    McDonalds is always, always hiring anyone with a pulse. And if you have a few brain cells you can progress to management in like a year and boom, management experience on your CV. done.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Write your CV and send it off to companies who are hiring. There you go.

ReputationRep:
    "I'd like to job but that'd mean I'd have to come off ESA benifit"
    You should be wanting to come off benefits. They shouldn't be there as a long term solution.
    Go out and find yourself a job. I've worked ever since I was 16 and now i'm graduating uni and I know my chances are higher than most of my classmates purely because I have some sort of experience and they don't
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Look into permitted work. You can earn a certain amount before coming off ESA.

ReputationRep:
    At 22 most employers expect you to have done something by now in terms of work, you may find it a little difficult.....

I got my first job at 21/22, although I did have work experience. About 3.

You will be more likely to get a job if they see you have worked before, start volunteering somewhere and put it on your CV.
    Sometimes it can be beneficial to lie on your CV as well [I have got the majority of my jobs through lying on my CV (making out I had worked in other places I never worked) ...but you need to be quite shrewd in identifying such opportunities where you can do this and not get rumbled, What I mean by this, is that there are some positions where it is unlikely they will even bother to check up on or contact your previous employer [although they often like to give you the impression they will be checking], If you can identify those positions then you can effectively tell huge porkies on your CV. I do not recommend lying on your CV to get your FIRST job [I didn't lie to get my first one]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierobinson94)
    I'm 22 years old, never had a job and never had work experience. I'd like to job but that'd mean I'd have to come off ESA benifit. I finished college almost 3 years ago with a BTEC 3 in Photogrpaby but was unsuccessful with getting into even though I had the required grades so yeah I've been stuck in limbo ever since.
    Make a CV, and send a cover letter to employers who your interested in. Without any job experience, it'll be really hard to make the transition to better-paid jobs out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollsumms)
    Make a CV, and send a cover letter to employers who your interested in. Without any job experience, it'll be really hard to make the transition to better-paid jobs out there.
    I never made a CV and I don't know how to make it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    At 22 most employers expect you to have done something by now in terms of work, you may find it a little difficult.....

I got my first job at 21/22, although I did have work experience. About 3.

You will be more likely to get a job if they see you have worked before, start volunteering somewhere and put it on your CV.
    Sometimes it can be beneficial to lie on your CV as well [I have got the majority of my jobs through lying on my CV (making out I had worked in other places I never worked) ...but you need to be quite shrewd in identifying such opportunities where you can do this and not get rumbled, What I mean by this, is that there are some positions where it is unlikely they will even bother to check up on or contact your previous employer [although they often like to give you the impression they will be checking], If you can identify those positions then you can effectively tell huge porkies on your CV. I do not recommend lying on your CV to get your FIRST job [I didn't lie to get my first one]
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I think you need to speak to someone at the job centre. They can advise you on things like CVs, work experience, etc.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.reed.co.uk/cvbuilder

ReputationRep:
    Walk into some places and ask managers for jobs directly. This shows some initiative and confidence, and sometimes people will take the easy route and hire whoever happens to present themselves most conveniently.

Sending your basically empty CV to sit in a massive pile of responses to internet ads might get you somewhere, eventually, but it just as easily might not.

In the meantime try to develop some skills. The above recommendation that you do some volunteer work is a good one. Have a look around and see if there are any courses you can do that interest you, too.

ReputationRep:
    If you're struggling for experience, you could volunteer in a charity shop and keep your benefits for now, try to save a bit of emergency cash so you're not really stuck when the benefits stop and when you've got a few months' retail experience you'll be in a good position for something like christmas temping to build up to a longer term job. I'd say if it seems overwhelming just take little steps and as other posters have said in the next few years you could be in a management position (which pays better than benefits!)

ReputationRep:
    There's a few good websites online that can help you with putting a CV together. It's basically just listing your qualities, results etc.
    Maybe ask friends and family for help, and try and so some volunteering aswell

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2017
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.