Do you think Britain is becoming more left or right?

Watch
That'sGreat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Personally, I believe UKIP will get a much larger amount of seats in the next elections, closing the gap between UKIP and labour, whilst conservatives steal the show. Especially after Brexit, and hopefully if Le Pen wins the French elections, we'll see a surge in Nationalisitc attitudes, with hopefully France leaving the EU to set people's minds at ease. What do you think?
zero766
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As much as I respect Farage for fighting against the establishment and his no-BS & non-politically correct attitude, he lacks much substance. He is a one hit wonder with Brexit (which I am a supporter of by the way) and has no other ideas. To many people, UKIP's purpose of an independent United Kingdom has been achieved and they see UKIP as irrelevant now. Especially with Farage resigning as leader, because lets face it, 90% of the UKIP front team aren't known, heck most people don't even know of Paul Nuttall. With Brexit casting them aside and no strong voice in the UKIP leadership, how will they get more votes?

Now, it really depends where you stand on the political spectrum. But UKIP are more right-wing than the Conservatives and IMO have some bad policies. Even without putting my own opinion on the matter, you don't win by being left or right. You win by being centre. Labour had left-wing leadership in the 80s and kept getting smashed at elections, Blair moved the party to centre ground and won a landslide. Likewise, Cameron was viewed as less right-wing than many senior Conservatives, yet he got them back into power. Tony Blair even said that you can't win from the left or the right and I'd say he's more or less correct.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by That'sGreat)
Personally, I believe UKIP will get a much larger amount of seats in the next elections, closing the gap between UKIP and labour, whilst conservatives steal the show. Especially after Brexit, and hopefully if Le Pen wins the French elections, we'll see a surge in Nationalisitc attitudes, with hopefully France leaving the EU to set people's minds at ease. What do you think?
The UK is generally centrist. Sure, we have the occasional lurch one way or the other, but parties that win elections, do so in the middle ground. We can see UKIP as a threat but they have only elected one MP and he defected from the Tories and has now left UKIP. UKIP are in a difficult spot now. They have lost the person who made them what they are and they have effectively won the argument for the thing they were set up for. As a general party no one knows what they stand for. The only reason Labour have disappeared off the face of the earth is because they have lurched to the left which leaves only the Tories. So long as parties try to be right or left, they don't stand a chance. This was something Tony Blair really understood. You win in the centre ground.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (286)
55.97%
I don't have everything I need (225)
44.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed