The Student Room Group

trigonometry help

please help me answer the following; solve the equation taninverse1=3theta-1
What have you tried?
Original post by SChido

arctan 1 = what? Then just rearrange to get theta.
Original post by SChido

To eliminate ambiguity, do you mean arctan(1)=3θ1arctan(1) = 3\theta - 1? (or, if you prefer tan1(1)=3θ1tan^{-1}(1) = 3\theta - 1) If so, what is arctan(1)arctan(1)?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by _gcx
To eliminate ambiguity, do you mean arctan(1)=3θ1arctan(1) = 3\theta - 1? (or, if you prefer tan1(1)=3θ1tan^{-1}(1) = 3\theta - 1) If so, what is arctan(1)arctan(1)?

yes thats what i mean. the answer i got was 45 what do i then do?
Original post by SChido
yes thats what i mean. the answer i got was 45 what do i then do?

So 45=3θ145 = 3\theta - 1. How do we rearrange this to find θ\theta? (NB: check if a range was specified within the question)
Reply 6
Original post by _gcx
So 45=3θ145 = 3\theta - 1. How do we rearrange this to find θ\theta? (NB: check if a range was specified within the question)

no range was specified. if i do take the one to the other side, then dont know if i should add it to the 45 very puzzled
Original post by SChido
no range was specified. if i do take the one to the other side, then dont know if i should add it to the 45 very puzzled

It's the same as solving, say, 45=3x145=3x-1, if you're confused in that regard. Yes, you would proceed by adding 1 to both sides. (1+1=0-1+1=0, "cancelling it out", on the RHS)
Reply 8
Original post by _gcx
it's the same as solving, say, 45=3x145=3x-1, if you're confused in that regard. Yes, you would proceed by adding 1 to both sides. (1+1=0-1+1=0, "cancelling it out", on the rhs)

i finally got the answer! Thank you, very helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest