The Student Room Group

Can anyone recommend any good rock / metal (and its various subgenres) music?

Scroll to see replies

Bring me the horizon ( stick to their newer stuff - their old stuff is pretty hardcore)
Normandie
Tribe Society
Highly Suspect
The White Stripes
The rest you or someone else has already mentioned
The Hives
Reply 22
Original post by R0ckTillWeDr0p
I listen to a lot of progressive metal, but bands that I listen to are:

Dream Theater
Haken
Symphony X
Tool
Tesseract
Seventh Wonder
Alter Bridge (less proggy, more hard rock)
Megadeth (more heavy metal than prog)
Billy Talent and Rise Against (more Punk)

Thanks for the bands :smile:
I already listen to a bit of Rise Against, I like punk, but I'll make sure to listen to the rest of them, as prog metal is still a fairly unknown terrain for me.
Reply 23
Original post by Suprite
Bring me the horizon ( stick to their newer stuff - their old stuff is pretty hardcore)
Normandie
Tribe Society
Highly Suspect
The White Stripes
The rest you or someone else has already mentioned

Thanks for the recs, a lot of my friends listen to bmth so I must definitely listen to them. The only White Stripes song I know is Seven Nation Army .
I forgot to mention that you will probably like Flyleaf (particularly during the Lacey Sturm era), Within Temptation (if you like symphonic/gothic metal, too), Breaking Benjamin, The Cranberries (I definitely recommend the song 'Zombies'), Skillet, Nine Inch Nails, The Rasmus, HIM (His Infernal Majesty), Angels & Airwaves, Hurts (I recommend the song 'Illuminated'), Depeche Mode (if you like this band, you will probably also like a band called 'Solar Fake'). Hopefully, you find these recommendations suitable! :ahee:

:tea:
My favourites from bmth would be Throne, Drown, Happy Song, Can you fell my heart, what you need, Sleepwalking ( I like all their songs from the album That's the Spirit and some from Sempiternal)

From The White Stripes: Fell in love with a girl, Blue Orchid, Icky Thump, the hardest button to button, Hypnotise, there's no home for you here, tittle cream soda. ( just to name a few)
Original post by Zuza K
Thanks for the bands :smile:
I already listen to a bit of Rise Against, I like punk, but I'll make sure to listen to the rest of them, as prog metal is still a fairly unknown terrain for me.

As far as Rise Against are concerned, Siren Song Of The Counter Culture is generally heralded as a classic album of theirs.

As for Prog Metal, you can't really go wrong with Ne Obliviscaris.

You've already said that you're not really a fan of screaming music, so I'm guessing black and death metal are both out of the window... but what about doom?

Acid Bath (especially Paegan Terrorism Tactics) are fantastic, unfortunately I can't really find much of their material on Youtube (probably a load of copyright :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: that keeps people from putting it up) so you'll have to put up with a recording of a recording, but thankfully the quality isn't too bad.

Warning and 40 Watt Sun are also balla.

If These Trees Could Talk are a pretty decent post-rock band, if you like instrumental music.
Reply 28
HEAT
Rock/metal suggestion thread and no mention of Ozzy? One does not simply make a suggestion without mentioning the Prince of Darkness.

As for other suggestions, you seem to be more of a mainstream, Pop-Esque sort of guy. I'd look into something like Glam Metal, guys like Van Halen, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, ect.. Then, of course, you've got the 'more rock than metal but technically metal' bands like Guns N Roses, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith. It'd also be worth checking out early metal acts like Judas Preist, Black Sabbath and Alice Cooper.

Metallica would be another pretty obvious one, they've got a lot of mainstream appeal.

There's also Babymetal if you're open to a bit of J-pop/Metal fusion. Sounds weird, looks weird at first... Just trust me. You listen once, think WTF did I just watch, then you eventually end up going back for more. Given that it's a direct fusion of pop and metal, Babymetal could definitely be something you'd like.

Other noteworthy recommendations;

Rammstein
Disturbed
Trivium
Foo Fighters
Skid Row
Emigrate
Sixx:A.M
Slash Ft. Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators
Sabaton
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Megaherz
Omega Lithium
Audiotopsy
Dorje
AC/DC
Alter Bridge
Queen
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Steve Vai

Some noteworthy songs from artists I haven't listed...
Zodiac - Follow
Wolfmother - Joker And The Thief
Danzig - Month
Nickelback - Burn It To The Ground (don't expect miracles, it's Nickelback after all, but it's a decent song IMO)
Jimmy Eat World - The Middle
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Zuza K
I'm already into: Deftones, Avenged Sevenfold, Fall Out Boy, Panic At The Disco, My Chemical Romance, Green Day, Kings of Leon, Muse, Queens of the Stone Age, Radiohead, 30 Seconds to Mars, Arctic Monkeys, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Two Door Cinema Club, Of Monsters and Men, Twenty One Pilots, You Me At Six, The Smiths, Nirvana, The Offspring, Shinedown etc.

But anything would be appreciated, even if its from these bands, as I might not know some of the songs. And maybe some more mature music, as some of those bands might be a tad bit childish.

Most of this pop rock.. don't see any metal. Have you listened to The Strokes? Listen to Undercover of darkness or The Modern Age.
Good Charlotte? They're old but similar to the other bands.
The Coral? I recommend Dreaming of you or In the morning
Blink-182 seems to fit right in
Shawn Mendes
Theocracy
Papa Roach
Skillet
Red
Decyfer Down
Third day
Pillar
Kutless
Halestorm