Should the EU referendum have been held? Watch

Carlylean
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Even though I support Brexit, I believe that the concept of referenda is mind-mindbogglingly stupid. I would have preferred the government to unilaterally pull out, without asking the public permission. This would have given us a lot more flexibility. We could possibly have rejoined at a later date when the EU reformed itself. Now this referendum sets a precedent, and, coming after the Scottish referendum of 2014, there will now be a lot more pressure on the government to hold a referendum for every political issue under the sun. Decisions made by the masses are harder to reverse.

Should Cameron have held the referendum at all? I think it was strategically incompetent for him to do so. UKIP wasn't that much of a threat as the 2015 election proved - if 1 million votes couldn't get them a single seat, what difference would it have made if Cameron hadn't made the promise of an in/out referendum in the first place? And as we have now seen, UKIP is nothing without Farage but a toxic association of angry old white men being nasty to each other. There's a reason why the party has such a high turnover rate.

The whole campaign led to an unfortunate amount of demagoguery. I lost a great respect for Farage when he allowed himself to be pictured with this guy:

Name:  FarageandGalloway.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  7.0 KB

A man who called for the death of British soldiers in the Iraq War. Here they are, chuckling away together as if they were life-long political partners. I find it loathsome.

There was all this rhetoric about "take back control", but few people actually stood back and thought about what it actually meant. In my mind it means our Parliament taking back control and acting in the best interests of the country, not the mob running things. I was somewhat repulsed by the Daily Mail article referring to the Supreme Court judges as "enemies of the people". The judiciary is not there to be bullied by public opinion.

Had I been in Cameron's position, I do not think I would have held a referendum, especially with all the division it has caused.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Cameron's EU renegotiation and referendum promise won him the Tory majority government in 2015. He was never going to want to leave, as he explicitly supported remaining in Europe after getting his "deal". If any party's manifesto mentioned taking Britain out of the EU without a public vote then it simply won't be in power.
Bham369
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No!
kenny corner
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No because british people are too stupid and filled with irrationality to make sensible pragmatic decisions.
Naveed-7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm a pro-Brexiter. I do think that the EU is unlikely to reform. Their managers are power hungry.

If the Remainers want another referendum in a year's time, we'd be more than happy to kick their bums back to neverland once again.

Here is an educational video:

Carlylean
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by shawn_o1)
Cameron's EU renegotiation and referendum promise won him the Tory majority government in 2015. He was never going to want to leave, as he explicitly supported remaining in Europe after getting his "deal". If any party's manifesto mentioned taking Britain out of the EU without a public vote then it simply won't be in power.
I don't think his referendum promise won him the election so much as Labour's weakness and incompetence.
A Mysterious Lord
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't think it should have been, the EU has never been the issue, it's been a convenient bogeyman for incompetent politicians.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (76)
67.26%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
18.58%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
14.16%

Watched Threads