The Student Room Group

new to this

I'm 24 with a daughter. I know I am to old to start studying but I'm going back to college to do my access course. I'm struggling to understand what type of loan I can get to help me as I be cutting my hours down a lot. I'm thinking a maintence loan but I'm not sure as it only college and not uni!
If it's a higher education course at a college, then you'll be eligible for student loan and maintenance. Also probably childcare costs, some colleges have childcare facilities aswell :smile:

You will most likely be able to get an advanced learner loan through https://www.gov.uk
Reply 2
Original post by Miss tiara
If it's a higher education course at a college, then you'll be eligible for student loan and maintenance. Also probably childcare costs, some colleges have childcare facilities aswell :smile:

You will most likely be able to get an advanced learner loan through https://www.gov.uk

Thank you! been worrying about this for a few days now and work have come back to me and said they cant offer me my new hours which i needed to cover my costs
Original post by kwhite92
Thank you! been worrying about this for a few days now and work have come back to me and said they cant offer me my new hours which i needed to cover my costs

Most access to HE courses are full time. Will you be working weekends? I'd just be realistic with how much time you will have to work when studying full time :/
Reply 4
Most access to HE courses are full time. Will you be working weekends? I'd just be realistic with how much time you will have to work when studying full time :/

i was going to be working 12 hours a week including weekdays, however due to work i think i be leaving before i start in septmber as they are not supportive. i am studying my access course to follow up with adult nursing next year, so i was thinking about doing some volunterring work in hospital and gp surgeries and such things to help me getting a better understand of what kind of nurse i would like to become
Honestly if the course you are doing is full time, it will be difficult to work a lot alongside it and keep up with studying. if you wanted to work, probably a few hours at the weekend would be best...
Volunteering work would be a great idea if you could get it from those places, it would look good on your application and for your future aswell
Reply 6
Honestly if the course you are doing is full time, it will be difficult to work a lot alongside it and keep up with studying. if you wanted to work, probably a few hours at the weekend would be best...
Volunteering work would be a great idea if you could get it from those places, it would look good on your application and for your future aswell

yes i think volenteering work would better suit me as i have a daughter as well i wont be so over whelmed by studying and having work. and i know i wouldnt get paid but its the experince to me that really matters i currently work in a nursing home which gives me expereince as it is.
i think the more i know before i head into my uni course they better, the more experince in this area would be great so i know when i get ot uni which type of nurse i would like to me as there are so many different kinds.
thanks for your help it much appriecated

Quick Reply

Latest