?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
ok people - advice required.

'Am thinking of doing

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Physics

I was wondering what sorta of workload i could be expecting with these and how much of a step of each of them is...

Do you think i should add economics in to this as well?

Help is much appreciated...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
those are exactly the as levels i took and i found the workload just fine. the jump is biggest in maths, but the rest follow on quite nicely from gcse. if i were u i wouldnt add economics as that would be too much for me. and anyway, 4 or 5 as levels dont matter. its the full alevels that most unis concentrate on.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sza)

'Am thinking of doing

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Physics

I was wondering what sorta of workload i could be expecting with these and how much of a step of each of them is...

I found maths to be a HUGE step up from GCSE but you adjust very quickly after you get your first test marks back and realize that you don't like D's very much!!! I got a B at GCSE and have just got a B at AS, I didn't find the workload very bad at all really (although I probably didn't work hard enough in all honesty). I think that providing you can get the principles right when you do them in class and then you can remember and apply them in an exam you will be fine!!!

I don't do any of the other subjects but I do take Electronics which (Im told) is slightly more difficult than Physics. I find this subject difficult, but if you are willing to put the time in and work at it, there should be no problem at all with those subjects.

PS - You could always add Economics in and then if you felt it was too much work or you simply didn't like it, you could drop it after a couple of weeks!!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sza)

'Am thinking of doing

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Physics

Both biology and chemistry are vast amounts of rote learning, although chem requires more understanding. Maths is fun, but hard, requires you to make sure you understand everything. Physics is tricky, again, a lot to remember equationwise, and a lot of maths. It's the logical thinking required in physics which gets a lot of people.

Economics is boring as hell.. choose further maths if you like maths a lot. Why are you doing those subjects? Do you genuinely want to do them or are you being pressured into them? Just they are some of the hardest subjects and you'd regret it if you chose the wrong ones.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
It's the logical thinking required in physics which gets a lot of people.
There is not much in physics that is logical!! Half of it can't be proved/is fairly speculative or contradicts itself which is what gets most people.
Sza
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
nah im not being pressure - i do like these subjects.

Im thinking of putting in an arts one - but i hate writing essays! so eek!
any other subs which are nice n fun? if there are any?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sza)

PE is great fun and accompanies biology very nicely. If you are good at 2 sports I would recommend it. A lot of the anatomy and physiology is just like the basics of what you will do in the biology course.
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I did all those subjects (+ French) at AS and I really enjoy all of them. I found Biology and Physics the biggest jumps but I think it really depends on what sort of person you are (Chemistry and Maths sort of came naturally).

I think once you start your courses you may feel a bit overwhelmed by the jumps but if you just stick with it, it really does get better and you will adapt (I flunked the whole of the first term before I realised what was actually going on in the courses!).

As for whether to add Economics, I agree that you should take it on and then drop it if the work load is too much. People often find Philosophy (if that is an option) a nice 5th subject but just do what you enjoy (plus it's nice to add a bit of breadth).

Do you know what course you want to do at uni?
Darkness
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Economics is boring as hell..
That is a personal opinion. I found Economics to be quite interesting myself.

~Darkness~
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
just to add to what other ppl have said, i found maths to have a massive jump from GCSE to AS.
AS chemistry i found dead easy, but bloody hell, A2 chem is an absolute nightmare!!!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
do philosophy - its brilliant. especially if you have a great teacher. i wish i'd continued it to A2 instead of continuing with maths.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
There is not much in physics that is logical!! Half of it can't be proved/is fairly speculative or contradicts itself which is what gets most people.
of course. That's why maths is infinitely more elegant than physics.. when I said logical thinking, I actually meant the ability to visualise a problem.. don't know why I said that
Sza
Rep:
?
Am looking at medicine - or Systems engineering at L'boro - looks like a madd course...

they do philo - but over the internet...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sza)
Am looking at medicine - or Systems engineering at L'boro - looks like a madd course...

they do philo - but over the internet...
I was going to do that course at l'boro for a long time. Changed my mind in the end because I didn't like Loughborough as place, very industrial feel to it.
byb3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i did those exact AS levels as well. I thought that there was a lot of work to be done overall, and they clash occasionally (like you learn something in one subject which you learn in another) such as Biochemistry and Mechanics.

However, sometimes all of these subjects can give you quite a headache and you just want to get out of it all. I wish I had never taken Chemistry because I dropped it at AS and now I have no use for it at all. Physics is a big jump up, and when you learn about all the fundamental particles you might need to take a step back. Biology I found was a bit easier than the other two, mainly because its not full of constant equations, and its just facts that can easily be remembered. This is probably because a lot of the subject is down to common sense.

I guess the most important factor (for me) was the teaching. If you know what kind of teaching you are going to get, and are confident with it then I would suggest you go for it. If you are a bit suspect about it I would have another think, or you could find yourself teaching yourself the entire subject.

Adam
Pencil
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sza)

Add Media Studies just for the sheer hell of it. It'll look great on your university form:

A-level Physics
A-level Chemistry
A-level Media Studies
A-level Biology
A-level Maths
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pencil)
Add Media Studies just for the sheer hell of it. It'll look great on your university form:

A-level Physics
A-level Chemistry
A-level Media Studies
A-level Biology
A-level Maths
hmm... media studies is not my peice of cake...
Sza
Rep:
?
by the way, do you think i should re-take french? i got a C in it - but when i told 'em this they seemed pretty anxious that it was a C... !
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sza)
by the way, do you think i should re-take french? i got a C in it - but when i told 'em this they seemed pretty anxious that it was a C... !
I got an A at GCSE French, which went to a C (but 2 marks from a B) at AS. I dropped it after AS because I felt I needed to concentrate on my science subjects for Uni, but it was my speaking that really let me down. I didn't have any confidence at all in my speaking exam (the first question he asked me I answered in the male tense when I am female --> not a good start!). I just wouldn't recommend maths if you took the intermediate paper or got lower than a B because it is hard, and I had one good teacher who got me A* at GCSE, but then left after a term of teaching us AS. The rest of the teachers i had were not good at all, the result of which was an extremely poor grade. However I never asked when I didn't understand something because everyone else in my class seemed to understand perfectly fine and I always felt such a fool for not understanding - so I never said anything, and relyed on my friends to help me out. I think if you put your mind to anything then you should be able to do it perfectly fine!!!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1282)
79.73%
Leave (326)
20.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise