txlu.xx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
For my gcse i am thinking of choosing triple science, geography, german (eventhough i am not quite so sure) but i dont know whether to do rs or history. I heard rs is very easy but i am slightly better at history only slightly though
NataliaMSR
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not sure if you're doing the new exam syllabus, but I took both of those subjects for GCSE so I'll weigh in. Honestly, if it's very close in terms of personal enjoyment I'd just go for the one you have the better grades in.
History and RS both involve lots of writing in the exam, but with my board we had 25% coursework for history so that might be worthwhile considering if you prefer coursework to exams.
I know it's a long way off, but History as an A Level is on the list of facilitating subjects for Russell Group universities. The subject tests your judgement and knowledge and is definitely extremely well-regarded, even more so than RS. It's a fun and interesting subject if you've liked it before and the exam is relatively easy. You have to know how to write essays and incorporate your opinion into answers, but as there's no right answer it's a good exam.
On the negative side, I found that History's hard to get right if you start off with bad grades. You have to remember a lot of dates and when you have a boring lesson, it's REALLY boring. Sometimes it can be a bit much to cram into your head.
RS is a good subject as well, but if you're sensitive to real life issues (abortion, animal cruelty, etc.) then I wouldn't recommend taking it. This subject also definitely helps with debating skills and (like with history) the exam is easy if you know what to do. It has some shorter questions, but no coursework so keep that in mind. Personally, I really enjoyed RS because it was quite easy to get through. As it's all a matter of opinion here too, the exam isn't challenging, only the way you word it.
However, although RS A Level is well-regarded, at GCSE many people do think of it as easy so it's not as respected. Also, depending on which course you take, you may have to learn a lot of names and theories and other complex things.
Sorry this is so long! But basically, I didn't notice much of a difference in the difficulty level between RS and History. If I had to say which was easier, I'd say RS as there's a bit less to remember. However, I'd personally choose History.
Choose whichever subject you've been getting better grades in or which you'll enjoy most.
pearlgrey
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is based on the old syllabus but I expect the new ones must be fairly similar anyway. In my opinion RS is easier but boring, whereas history is harder but more interesting. But if you find RS interesting then I think you would be fine doing that if you wanted to, since you are already doing geography.
Carly2289
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did RS, not because I thought it was easier, but because I had never liked history, and everyone else in my class had chosen it as they thought it was easy. Trust me when I tell you that no GCSE is easy! I don't want to scare you but there is a lot to learn and I did have to do a lot of revision for it, but I really liked it so it ended up being my best subject in the end. At GCSE I found it to be less about religion and more about everyday issues just with a religious perspective at the end of each section, but I guess that depends on the exam board.

My friend on the other hand took history, and she found it really hard and stressful but again, she loved it and it was her best subject and her favourite one, so it worked out well for her!

Basically, you have to pick the subject that you are most interested in and that you like more! Think about which one you concentrate in more, or look forward to more. You'll be doing it for two years so you don't want to be stuck in a lesson that bores you or that you don't like. If you like it then you'll do way better as you'll be way more motivated to listen and revise it!
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I find RS, especially the philosophy components, far more interesting than History, but that is just my two cents.

Just take the one that you think that you will get a better grade in, to be honest.
purplesockmonkey
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm also taking both so I'll try and shed some light.

They're both really enjoyable and if you're an Arts kind of person, neither will be too hard. History and RS are two of my favourites.
I can't speak for the new syllabus but I've found RS really interesting because it's so relevant - you're learning about topics you face day to day like Medical Ethics, Drugs, and Crime and Punishment; and big questions that you yourself have probably wondered. Being this relevant also makes it a little easier to revise - you can have an opinion on whether euthanasia is okay without having done too much revision, but you couldn't say why World War Two broke out without putting in the hours!
But then again, I know the new syllabus is much more religion based, so I don't know...

History is really interesting because it helps you to understand why the world is as it is today. My course has been 1919-Cold War and I've really enjoyed it. Also history sounds a little more prestigious, if you care about that sort of thing. I don't - I took both after all - and I don't think it should be, but it's the general consensus, I think.
The big downside is that oh my god, there is a never-ending amount to learn! It's doable, but it honestly takes hours. You think you've learnt everything and then you look at a past paper and it's got questions on something you didn't even know existed! (My current experience!)

In RS you know you'll get asked all the questions but in History, they could ask you from any part of the course. So it's scary!

But at the end of the day, both are good, enjoyable, and manageable subjects (History less manageable but yeah). Take which you enjoy more, because if you're good at both now, you'll probably be able to do well in either.
mysticmagic2000
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do not choose RS under any circumstance. It makes me hate revising. History can't be much worse!
username2839680
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
History is horrible BUT the new reforms are making it easier and you're learning about different treaties like the AH treaty that links in with the Versailles one.
Amusica
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hiya, I don't know if it is too late, but anyways I'm currently Year 11 and I am taking both of the subjects. I Personally love both of them and I am taking both of them next year. However, things to be aware of. RS may seem very easy and people saying you just need to learn 'Love Thy Neighbour' but due to the 'easiness' of the subject the Grade Boundries are incredibly high plus there is a lot of content to learn, because on most exam boards you will be doing Ethics and Philosphy. I'm doing AQA, apparently, you guys will be doing buddhism as well which is interesting but just a warning Philosophy starts off easy but becomes more complex as you go along. I have my Ethics tomorrow hopefully will be getting A* but it is very useful for debates and exploring ethical concerns which are around today.

History however is a gem in the content- don't get me wrong there is a hell of a lot to learn, but it is very interesting. I am doing OCR in this and with this you have coursework which is tedious but helpful. Additionally, the warnings on this subject is that the written exam is quite hard to grasp as it is very particular in the way of writing. However if you love the facts and what you're learning about then it will be fine.

Overall, both help with writing skills and topical current affairs. They both are quite challenging but in separate ways and they can be alot to learn. But with both of them once you get your head around it it can be very fascinating to learn.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (111)
28.03%
No (285)
71.97%

Watched Threads