The Student Room Group

Warwick BSc Management vs UCL Statistics, Economics and Finance

I do have offers from both, Warwick for a BSc Management and UCL for a BSc Statistics and Economics and finance. But I don't know which uni/course I should take. I mainly want to focus on academics and internships/work opportunities.
Later I'd like to do finance, mainly investment banking or private equity, I don't know at the moment by an internship might help me to decide as well as what I like the most as courses

Scroll to see replies

In terms of internship opportunities UCL definitely has an edge over Warwick due to its location especially in the area of finance. Having said that, both the degrees are quite different in terms of their contents. A word of caution though, you MUST enjoy statistics if you choose SEF at UCL due to the heavy stats contents in the course. Good luck!
Reply 2
I did choose warwick course which seemed more opened to me, and I do have UCL as insurance choice.
Disagree with what previous post has said about UCL advantage over Warwick in terms of internship opportunities. For undergraduate level at least, Warwick is on par if not above UCL for getting into the more competitive industries (eg. ibank).
To address OP's question, in my opinion your course for UCL is definitely more academically rigorous than BSc Management, but that probably won't matter as much since firms claim they have strict preference on the degree. Doing Management probably leaves you more time to apply for internship though.
Reply 4
WBS is one of the elite business schools in the world which will obviously come with an advantage in terms of connections compared to UCL. However warwick is separated from the city and can be quite boring, london is extremely lit however it is super ****ing expensive
Reply 5
Original post by John30
WBS is one of the elite business schools in the world which will obviously come with an advantage in terms of connections compared to UCL. However warwick is separated from the city and can be quite boring, london is extremely lit however it is super ****ing expensive

Well I live in london, so the cost isn't a problem, but I wanted to live on campus to change if I come back to work in london, which is most likely.
Guys, I did economics and statistics at UCL (which is nearly the same as Stat, Econ, Finance at UCL). I just want to warn you how much this degree made me suffer. My personal experience of it was horrible: no social life in this course, economics is badly taught in the department, not many options to choose from. By the end of the second year I didn't feel like having learned anything in economics. In the second year the stats assignments take 15 hours per week to solve, so everyone copies on each other and then the exams are too hard so they have to round up. It is ethnically unbalanced, small groups by countries tend to form. The department is in an old depressing building. The first year was very hard emotionally, whilst the second year was a burden academically. It destroyed me completely so I would strongly recommend not to go if you have the choice and you want to have a normal student life.
Reply 7
Original post by nadiamansei
Guys, I did economics and statistics at UCL (which is nearly the same as Stat, Econ, Finance at UCL). I just want to warn you how much this degree made me suffer. My personal experience of it was horrible: no social life in this course, economics is badly taught in the department, not many options to choose from. By the end of the second year I didn't feel like having learned anything in economics. In the second year the stats assignments take 15 hours per week to solve, so everyone copies on each other and then the exams are too hard so they have to round up. It is ethnically unbalanced, small groups by countries tend to form. The department is in an old depressing building. The first year was very hard emotionally, whilst the second year was a burden academically. It destroyed me completely so I would strongly recommend not to go if you have the choice and you want to have a normal student life.

WOW, thanks so much for the answer, tbh I choose management because of the lack of social life in this course but didn't expect students being destroyed by the amount of work. How you will succeed in your third year. May I ask you if you are an international student?
Reply 8
UCL hands down!
Congrats!
Reply 9
Original post by sels22
UCL hands down!
Congrats!

have you seen what he just wrote ?

And if I do enough finance modules in the second and third year my degree will be "Management with finance". and according to the FT Warwick is a top uni for finance (first in the UK and rising) : http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/masters-in-finance-pre-experience-2017?mhq5j=e1
Reply 10
Original post by xtrembob
have you seen what he just wrote ?

And if I do enough finance modules in the second and third year my degree will be "Management with finance". and according to the FT Warwick is a top uni for finance (first in the UK and rising) : http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/masters-in-finance-pre-experience-2017?mhq5j=e1

You asked for people's opinions. Sounds like you have made you decision 👍
Reply 11
Original post by sels22
You asked for people's opinions. Sounds like you have made you decision 👍

yup, made my decision before may. but still cool to hear everyone's opinion
Reply 12
I'm v shocked at this cuz I have an offer for UCL econ and stats.. I'm contemplating dropping out since u don't even get taught by the econ department for that half- it seems like a full stats degree
Reply 13
Original post by FHL123
I'm v shocked at this cuz I have an offer for UCL econ and stats.. I'm contemplating dropping out since u don't even get taught by the econ department for that half- it seems like a full stats degree

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2423084
Check some of the last replies of this one, seems like UCL stats department is crushing students...
Reply 14
Yeah I'm gonna request a switch to econ, I'm not wasting that much money to destroy my mental health
Reply 15
Original post by FHL123
Yeah I'm gonna request a switch to econ, I'm not wasting that much money to destroy my mental health

Yup and econ at UCL is really quantitative anyway, you wont need stats tbh
Reply 16
Yup and econ at UCL is really quantitative anyway, you wont need stats tbh

Do you think they'll take away my offer for requesting a switch cuz I switched from HISTORY POLITICS AND ECON to Stats and Econ, so this will be my second switch ?
Reply 17
Original post by FHL123
Do you think they'll take away my offer for requesting a switch cuz I switched from HISTORY POLITICS AND ECON to Stats and Econ, so this will be my second switch ?

lmao you are the worst guy ever in your decisions, but try to go to straight econ, or go back to your previous choice
Reply 18
lmao you are the worst guy ever in your decisions, but try to go to straight econ, or go back to your previous choice

Ikr .. I'll ask or just go Warwick law as my insurance ( cuz I'm that indecisive I have two diff subjects as my choices )
Reply 19
Original post by FHL123
Ikr .. I'll ask or just go Warwick law as my insurance ( cuz I'm that indecisive I have two diff subjects as my choices )

WTF man lmao, btw I did put UCL stats, econ and finance as my firm choice
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest