The Student Room Group

University 2017

So I recieved all my offers back a couple of months ago and I was going to firm Goldsmith and insure Essex however I have now decided that I want to get experience for my course before I go to university.

However I'm not sure 100% and I was thinking maybe I would decide nearer to results day based on my results.

What should I do should I just drop all my options but that would risk my opportunity if I was to go.
Reply 1
Hi,
I am currently in AS,i am doing 3 subjects but i will only be getting 2 AS grades at the end as i am not ready to sit my 3rd subject exam,so i will sit it next year whilst sitting my A2.However i will still get 3 predicted grades,do you think Unis will accept me,i want to go to the Russel group aswell.
Original post by Jelly432
Hi,
I am currently in AS,i am doing 3 subjects but i will only be getting 2 AS grades at the end as i am not ready to sit my 3rd subject exam,so i will sit it next year whilst sitting my A2.However i will still get 3 predicted grades,do you think Unis will accept me,i want to go to the Russel group aswell.

so you'll have 2 full a levels and an as at the end?

Original post by rumeysss
So I recieved all my offers back a couple of months ago and I was going to firm Goldsmith and insure Essex however I have now decided that I want to get experience for my course before I go to university.

However I'm not sure 100% and I was thinking maybe I would decide nearer to results day based on my results.

What should I do should I just drop all my options but that would risk my opportunity if I was to go.

you still have plenty of time to make a decision i wouldnt rush into it :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
so you'll have 2 full a levels and an as at the end?

At the end of AS i will have 2 AS grades,however i will still get 3 predicted grades because my teachers will still predict me 3 grades even if i have not sat my 3rd subject,i will be doing the exam for my 3rd subject next year alongside my A2.Also at the end of A2 i will have 3 AS and 3 A2 grades
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
you still have plenty of time to make a decision i wouldnt rush into it

Yeah they most likely will as in my first year I ended up with BBBB for my AS subjects. When I came back for my second year so A2 we had mocks during the year which determined my predicted grades for uni and averaged I got predicted a ABB for my UCAS. So don't worry about it :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
you still have plenty of time to make a decision i wouldnt rush into it :smile:

Thats the thing I was going to firm and insure today but it stated that if i firm and meet the expected grades that I have to go to my firm. Do you think thats true? Or on results day or before can I call to cancel my place?
(edited 7 years ago)
Thats the thing I was going to firm and insure today but it stated that if i firm and meet the expected grades that I have to go to my firm. Do you think thats true? Or on results day or before can I call to cancel my place?

You can cancel your place if you want to
Reply 7
Yeah they most likely will as in my first year I ended up with BBBB for my AS subjects. When I came back for my second year so A2 we had mocks during the year which determined my predicted grades for uni and averaged I got predicted a ABB for my UCAS. So don't worry about it :smile:

Would unis ask why i don't have 3 AS grades,as i will only have 2 as the end of AS.
(edited 7 years ago)

What that means is, if you meet the conditions for your Firm, you don't then get the option to choose between your Firm and your Insurance (even if in meeting the conditions for the one, you have also met the conditions for the other). So you will be going to your Firm, or neither of them.
Reply 9
Would unis ask why i don't have 3 AS grades,as i will only have 2 as the end of AS.

You can ask your referee to explain your circumstances. Which exam board are you sitting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10

I would really have a long think and weigh up the pros and cons. You could always ask the university you have firmed if they would defer your offer (so you would start September 2018, giving you plenty time to gain experience). What are you considering doing that would help you gain experience for the course? Have you looked into work experience opportunities, or apprenticeships? If you are really sure that it is the course for you, and the university for you then don't talk yourself out of it if it's just because you're scared you might not be able to cope at that level.

There'd be plenty of opportunities for you to get work experience over the summer. You could always do free online short courses (or paid ones) to work on essays and such at university level. I currently done a short course so I could get experience of writing an essay at university level, and I will be using the feedback to work on my essay writing skills before I start university in September. Really think it over, don't pressure yourself into thinking of something straight away. Weigh up the pros and cons of your options and decide what you would feel most comfortable doing. Likewise, if people say you should go one route, but you feel you should go another, then choose what's best for you.
Original post by Doonesbury
You can ask your referee to explain your circumstances. Which exam board are you sitting?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have picked these A Level`; Maths (edexcel),politics(edexcel) and accounting(ocr, i will not be sitting my accounting exam)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12

I have picked these A Level`; Maths (edexcel),politics(edexcel) and accounting(ocr, i will not be sitting my accounting exam)

Ah, you are fairly unusual in having 3 unreformed A-levels.

Many universities are now less concerned by AS-levels anyway, and so long as your circumstances are explained it shouldn't be a problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah, you are fairly unusual in having 3 unreformed A-levels.

Many universities are now less concerned by AS-levels anyway, and so long as your circumstances are explained it shouldn't be a problem

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, also many of my friends are telling me to sit my accounting exam(the exam which i won't be sitting this year) however i know i won't get the grade i want,do you think it is worth the risk so unis can see atleast i have tried,also i will have to write it in my UCAS and it will look bad aswell.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14

Thank you, also many of my friends are telling me to sit my accounting exam(the exam which i won't be sitting this year) however i know i won't get the grade i want,do you think it is worth the risk so unis can see atleast i have tried,also i will have to write it in my UCAS and it will look bad aswell.

Hold on, are you saying you are dropping Accounting, or just delaying taking the AS exams?
Hold on, are you saying you are dropping Accounting, or just delaying taking the AS exams?

Just delaying my accounting exam i will be doing intensive accounting next year basically as i will do my AS accounting whilst i am doing A2.
Reply 16
Just delaying my accounting exam i will be doing intensive accounting next year basically as i will do my AS accounting whilst i am doing A2.

Should be fine.

If you sit it unprepared and do poorly you will still have to declare the results on your UCAS.
Should be fine.

If you sit it unprepared and do poorly you will still have to declare the results on your UCAS.

exactly and i don't unis to see that poor grade, therefore i will sit it next year,really hope unis don't mind 2 AS Grade.
Reply 18
exactly and i don't unis to see that poor grade, therefore i will sit it next year,really hope unis don't mind 2 AS Grade.

If you need confirmation contact some of the universities you are considering and ask them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you need confirmation contact some of the universities you are considering and ask them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you btw.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending