Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Help! please..... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ive recently got back from a weeks holiday in Spain. Friends & i had the best time & we found a great shot called 'Quickie' but i cant find it over here newhere. The bottle says its imported by a company called 'Fun Drinks Uk Limited' but i cant find out where they import it 2, does ne1 know wot im talking about & where i can buy it here?

ReputationRep:
    SHAKE-UP IN COCKTAILS AS DRINKS NAMES BREAK INDUSTRY CODE

Monday 1 March 2004

The producers of a pre-packaged frozen cocktail range and a vodka-based fruit flavoured liqueur have both agreed to change the drinks’ names, following a decision that they break The Portman Group Code by being associated with sexual success.

A further drink from a third company will undergo changes to its packaging and its website because the label does not make it clear enough that the drink is alcoholic, and because the website includes images of people who look under 25, also in contravention of the Code.

The Independent Complaints Panel, chaired by Lord Condon, found that 10 of the 15 flavour names in the “Krush Frozen Alcoholic Cocktails” range broke the Code’s strict rule that no name, packaging or promotion of an alcoholic drink should suggest an association with sexual success. The flavour names destined for the scrapheap include ‘Slow Comfortable Screw’, ‘Screaming Orgasm’, ‘Shag’ and ‘Sex on the Beach’. The company responsible, Strelley Enterprises Ltd, has agreed to seek advice from The Portman Group in finding acceptable new names for its drinks.

The Portman Group will also advise Fun Drinks (UK) Ltd, the company responsible for “Quickie”, a vodka-based shot which will also be withdrawn from the market until a new name is found that avoids sexual connotations in breach of the Code.

A third product, “Stiffys Shots”, produced by Stiffy’s Shots Ltd, will revamp its website in consultation with The Portman Group, following the judgement from the Independent Complaints Panel that it features images of people who appear to be under 25. The Portman Group’s Code prohibits such images unless there is no suggestion that the people are drinking, or are likely to.

Commenting on the rulings, Portman Group Chief Executive Jean Coussins said:

“A year ago the Code was tightened up, plugging regulation gaps and extending its reach. The tough, new rules are making a positive impact as these rulings show, particularly with products which are marketed in a way that associates them with sexual success.

“I am pleased that the producers concerned have agreed immediately to make the changes required. This is self-regulation at its most efficient. These cases show how important it is for companies to come to us for advice before launching new products or promotions. Already this year we have seen requests for pre-launch advice double.”

Seems like they have been banned from selling it in this country until it is rebranded.

But here is the companies details:

Tel: (01298) 27000
    Fax: (01298) 27799

Rockhead House
    Staden Lane
    Buxton
    Derbyshire
    SK17 9R7

I hope this helps!!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.