Abdc99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am currently a Year 12 studying A level Chemistry, Economics and History, which are all linear. At the time of choosing my A levels I wasn't quite sure of the career I wanted, however I've now decided to study medicine. I was wondering if retaking Year 12 would be considered a resit year as medical schools do not allow over 2 of A level study, keeping in mind the fact that these are linear subjects so technically I won't be resitting any exams. Do i have a chance of entering medical school if I resit year 12 doing linear A levels?
Philip-flop
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Abdc99)
I am currently a Year 12 studying A level Chemistry, Economics and History, which are all linear. At the time of choosing my A levels I wasn't quite sure of the career I wanted, however I've now decided to study medicine. I was wondering if retaking Year 12 would be considered a resit year as medical schools do not allow over 2 of A level study, keeping in mind the fact that these are linear subjects so technically I won't be resitting any exams. Do i have a chance of entering medical school if I resit year 12 doing linear A levels?
If you're doing the new linear A-levels then why would you want to resit year 12 if all exams are done in the second year?
Abdc99
Rep:
?
(Original post by Philip-flop)
If you're doing the new linear A-levels then why would you want to resit year 12 if all exams are done in the second year?
I want to retake and take new subjects as I am currently only studying one science, and you need atleast two for medicine. Also I've heard foundation courses are much more competative than the normal course.
Philip-flop
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I want to retake and take new subjects as I am currently only studying one science, and you need atleast two for medicine. Also I've heard foundation courses are much more competative than the normal course.
All I'm saying is, you might as well move onto the second year with Chemistry so you can learn the A2 content and pick up another Science and see if you could do it in one year. It'll save you learning all of the same content from AS twice. Just seems a waste of time that's all.
Abdc99
Rep:
?
All I'm saying is, you might as well move onto the second year with Chemistry so you can learn the A2 content and pick up another Science and see if you could do it in one year. It'll save you learning all of the same content from AS twice. Just seems a waste of time that's all.
It's highly unlikely that my college will allow me to take up a new subject in A2 year and complete it in a year. Thanks.
Philip-flop
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's highly unlikely that my college will allow me to take up a new subject in A2 year and complete it in a year. Thanks.
But if they will let you repeat the AS year then you'll end up doing 3 years at college, right? So what would be the difference if you were to sit A2 Chemistry, Economics etc and another AS Science next year then complete that to A2 in your third year?
Abdc99
Rep:
?
But if they will let you repeat the AS year then you'll end up doing 3 years at college, right? So what would be the difference if you were to sit A2 Chemistry, Economics etc and another AS Science next year then complete that to A2 in your third year?
If I were to repeat my AS year it would have to be at a different college because my college doesn't allow you to resit years, meaning I would have to start my A levels all over again.
Philip-flop
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If I were to repeat my AS year it would have to be at a different college because my college doesn't allow you to resit years, meaning I would have to start my A levels all over again.
Oh I see. Have you told your college of your plans yet?
Abdc99
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=Philip-flop;70852170]Oh I see. Have you told your college of your plans yet?[/QUOTE
I've told them that I might want to leave, haven't decided anything for sure though!
Philip-flop
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
[QUOTE=Abdc99;70852360]
Oh I see. Have you told your college of your plans yet?[/QUOTE
I've told them that I might want to leave, haven't decided anything for sure though!
You might want to decide before you actually sit some AS exams. If you you sit them but don't get very good grades then it's unlikely that another college will accept you to study with them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (111)
17.62%
It's just nice to be back! (172)
27.3%
Not great so far... (225)
35.71%
I want to drop out! (122)
19.37%

Watched Threads