Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Words that should be banned? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ****** (or any other racial slur )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    I think that the phrase 'in my opinion', in addition to any derivations and abbreviations, should be banned. It makes you sound like a ****.
    Well said :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pippa)
    the words

mint, random ( i use it way to much and in the wrong context) and 'like' after like word like...! xxx

oo i really hate the word ****..
    Ah yes I'm the same, I always use "like" and it really irritates me. Think I saw it on Room 101 once, not sure who wanted to ban it but it was definitely for the right reasons!!

Mint also - has snuck (sneaked?) into my vocabulary after spending time with a mate up north and oh my, it sticks.

Dislike the word "cool" too because I always wonder if I sound like a dad or something when I say it. And trying to change it for "groovy" just doesn't work. =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    ****** (or any other racial slur )
    Yeah... because racism is a weapon of mass destruction...

ReputationRep:
    ******... thats just annoying and homophobic as well

(Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Yeah! What's up with people saying that so commonly? :eek: They say it like they only know it means a meatball or something.

ReputationRep:
    yeah and how wannabes try to refer to cigarattes as **** . Its sad that they dont know what it really means

(Original post by infekt)
    yeah and how wannabes try to refer to cigarattes as **** . Its sad that they dont know what it really means
    I'm eagerly awaiting the day where a trev/chav/townie whatever you call them declares that he wants to suck a fag, it'll be brilliant when/if it happens.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the phrase 'in my opinion', in addition to any derivations and abbreviations, should be banned. It makes you sound like a ****.
    I think you are a ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    The expression "needless to say..".
    i love the expression "needless to say"...i always say it, seriously and as a mockery.
    and it's one of alan partridge's catchphrases: needless to say i had the last laugh. i love alan partridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_watson87)
    I think you are a ****.
    See, that's a far better way of expressing opinion. And I only said it because I've seen you say "Imo" twice today. At first I thought that it was ironic, but then when you did it again I started twitching.

ReputationRep:
    See, that's a far better way of expressing opinion. And I only said it because I've seen you say "Imo" twice today. At first I thought that it was ironic, but then when you did it again I started twitching.
    I started your infamous twitching...YaY!

ReputationRep:
    moist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    I use it aswell, but it has to be about the single most pointless saying ever!
    I like to call them "verbal ticks" My mum had the "to be honest" variant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    I think the word "Quality" should be band cos i use it far too much!

you can't ban mushroom, how'd the badger song go with out it!

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

hehe, I only said mushroom to annoy the person who made the thread, however, she or he didn't bother to respond.

ReputationRep:
    I hate the word 'fit'. Well, not the word itself; it's fine when it's being used to describe someone's physical form but I get really annoyed with it's repetative use to describe appearance. It's completely overused now. It wouldn't be so bad- but no one uses any variation when there are so many other possible words that could be used in its place. Attractive, handsome, good-looking, gorgeous, pretty, beautiful etc. Use them!

Another word I hate is fag. And so, probably consequently >>
    is also on my list.

That they all begin with 'f' is purely consequential. I have nothing against the letter!

There are probably a few other words that 'get my goat' as it were, but these three spring straight to mind.

ReputationRep:
    Probably already been mentioned, but "Blatantly" is so overused, almost always out of context, by some burberry cap wearing chav trying to...well I don't know what they're trying to achieve. But it ticks me off none the less :P

ReputationRep:
    "to be fair" has got to be banned!!!!!!!!!! every1 in my 6th form says it aaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllll the time, why??!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    RANDOM

It infuriates me beyond belief. Such a nasty fad word. It is NOT cool or individual or clever. Get a new word. Grrr.

ReputationRep:
    its got to be 'innit' and 'blapse'......especially when used together.....as in 'innit, blapse'. also 'naah, man, naah'

and 'bobsled'

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.