rdlewiss
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I'm sitting my AS exams soon and I'm scared sh!tless!
I'm doing Media Studies where 50% of my grade is coursework and 50% is exam. For GCSE I got an A* so media has always been a great subject for me
However this year my motivation and ability is slacking.
My exam side is OK, I think I can hopefully try and get an A however my coursework right now is absolute shambles. I think I can get a B in coursework, however I really want to get an A overall for Media. Can I still get an A overall even with a B in coursework?
Also, for A2, if I get an A overall and a B in AS year, would this be an A or B?
username2488767
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For this year, it's still possible to get an A overall so long as:
1. your coursework was a high B
2. you get a high A in your exam

Regarding second year, you won't know until results day this year because it's all dependent on your UMS mark. You need 90 UMS for an A*, 80 for an A, etc. per paper (as each is work 100 UMS). So you'll need to total up your UMS from this year, then minus that from the total UMS for the two-year course (probably 400). Look at grade boundaries from the past few years to work out your average raw mark needed for 80 UMS.
Chichaldo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't take media so I can only comment on the basis of subjects I took but it depends on whether your course is linear or not. Presuming your grades at AS contribute to your A2 grade? You can get an A overall if you gain a B in your coursework but it depends on the 'type' of A or B you get. If you get a low B and a low A then it'll be a B overall but a high A and high B could result in an A grade. My advice would be to do all you can for your coursework as it's good to have a solid basis heading into the exam, lots of added pressure knowing you have to get a high A in the exam to stand a chance of gaining an A overall.

Good luck.
rdlewiss
Rep:
?
(Original post by greghayes)
For this year, it's still possible to get an A overall so long as:
1. your coursework was a high B
2. you get a high A in your exam

Regarding second year, you won't know until results day this year because it's all dependent on your UMS mark. You need 90 UMS for an A*, 80 for an A, etc. per paper (as each is work 100 UMS). So you'll need to total up your UMS from this year, then minus that from the total UMS for the two-year course (probably 400). Look at grade boundaries from the past few years to work out your average raw mark needed for 80 UMS.
Thank you!! This was very helpful,
I have one last question (sorry! new to the whole a level UMS thing)
If i get 75/100 for my paper, do you know how much that would be in terms of UMS? I'm on the WJEC spec and their grade boundaries are a little difficult to follow.
rdlewiss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chichaldo)
I don't take media so I can only comment on the basis of subjects I took but it depends on whether your course is linear or not. Presuming your grades at AS contribute to your A2 grade? You can get an A overall if you gain a B in your coursework but it depends on the 'type' of A or B you get. If you get a low B and a low A then it'll be a B overall but a high A and high B could result in an A grade. My advice would be to do all you can for your coursework as it's good to have a solid basis heading into the exam, lots of added pressure knowing you have to get a high A in the exam to stand a chance of gaining an A overall.

Good luck.
thank you so much!! this was really helpful!
username2488767
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rdlewiss)
Thank you!! This was very helpful,
I have one last question (sorry! new to the whole a level UMS thing)
If i get 75/100 for my paper, do you know how much that would be in terms of UMS? I'm on the WJEC spec and their grade boundaries are a little difficult to follow.
I can't find anything online for A Level Media grade boundaries I'm afraid but I would estimate that 75% raw mark would be between 70-80 UMS depending on the year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (598)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (736)
41.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (351)
19.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.48%

Watched Threads