Manchester_Grad
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have three groups (journey times to the local supermarket) hence three means. Group 1 = a+b n=500 Group 2 = a n=230 Group 3 = b n=270 Is there any sort of statistical test I can carry out to compare the means?
agrew
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If there are three independent groups, then ANOVA should do the work.
monkyvirus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
When people ask these sorts of questions and seemingly don't know about real statistical basics like ANOVA or t-tests I really feel like they should spend the time going to find a "Introduction to Statistics for [insert subject here]" textbook. So I suggest you do that.

It seems to me that you have Group 1 which is the entire sample and Groups 2 and 3 are subgroups of that sample. If groups 2 and 3 are independent you would do a independent t-test on these two groups (this describes the assumptions and shows you how to do it in SPSS). Also plot a boxplot so you can see visually whether they "look" different. This is useful reality check in case your t-test gives a surprising result which could indicate an error in your work (obviously its just an indicator, its hard to tell just by looking usually).
Zactopus
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I second monkyvirus on the getting a statistics book or maybe doing a short course on it or something.

to decide on what tests to use you need a but more information I think. what are the three groups, how do they relate to each other and what is your independent variable (what have you taken a mean of?) as monkyvirus said if group 1 is just group 2 and 3 together then a t-test in groups 2 and 3 is fine but I'm a bit concerned as to why you want to examine it as a whole as well as together cause that may change things.
Neopolitan Girl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you're doing stats problems regularly OP and have a little time to spend working on it, I would recommend the textbook Statistics: An introduction using R. Learning stats and a programming language together might seem daunting, but R is exceedingly useful for stats (and free!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.14%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (383)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.24%

Watched Threads