The Student Room Group

Is it too late to apply for Uni ?

Right so I'm currently doing a maths degree and I'm first year but it's not exactly going too well so I'm considering doing something else and Loughborough do this mathematics with maths education course and it looks great and I'd wanna apply for entry into year 2

How would I go about doing this ?

Also what happens if they don't let me apply for 2017 entry like would I have to just leave my uni and then go there in 2018 ? like can you even do that

Thanks
Original post by fefssdf
Right so I'm currently doing a maths degree and I'm first year but it's not exactly going too well so I'm considering doing something else and Loughborough do this mathematics with maths education course and it looks great and I'd wanna apply for entry into year 2

How would I go about doing this ?

Also what happens if they don't let me apply for 2017 entry like would I have to just leave my uni and then go there in 2018 ? like can you even do that

Thanks

You should contact the Uni/ department and find out whether they will consider a transfer. Only possible if they have capacity and they will usually require decent performance on the degree you are transferring from plus it needs to have covered similar subjects. I would say your chances are slim but ask and find out. You may have more chance if they have spare places to start from year 1. You would then need to apply via UCAS.

Do not sign the accommodation contract for next year or you will have that to deal with if you change your mind. If you leave during year 1 then you get one gift year so they will; fund a full degree somewhere else. If you leave during year 2 then you will have to pay for year 1 yourself up fron unless you can make a cpr claim.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You should contact the Uni/ department and find out whether they will consider a transfer. Only possible if they have capacity and they will usually require decent performance on the degree you are transferring from plus it needs to have covered similar subjects. I would say your chances are slim but ask and find out. You may have more chance if they have spare places to start from year 1. You would then need to apply via UCAS.

Do not sign the accommodation contract for next year or you will have that to deal with if you change your mind. If you leave during year 1 then you get one gift year so they will; fund a full degree somewhere else. If you leave during year 2 then you will have to pay for year 1 yourself up fron unless you can make a cpr claim.

Yeh don't worry I haven't sorted any accomdation yet and yeh that's the thing if they ask for decent marks I don't think that's gonna happen ; the best I'll get is around 50% I think
Original post by fefssdf
Yeh don't worry I haven't sorted any accomdation yet and yeh that's the thing if they ask for decent marks I don't think that's gonna happen ; the best I'll get is around 50% I think

Which is why you can reconsider just starting again as you get a gift year.
They would also require you to have covered the same work in a maths degree as the course you were moving onto, which would be an additional problem.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Which is why you can reconsider just starting again as you get a gift year.
They would also require you to have covered the same work in a maths degree as the course you were moving onto, which would be an additional problem.

I had a look at the first year and it seems to just be the same content as any old regular maths degree but in year 2 and 3 is where you do the educational modules so I'm optimistic it shouldn't be an issue
I'm not too sure if I'd be allowed to start from year 1 again if I'm already doing a maths degree cause then I'd have an unfair advantage
Original post by fefssdf
I had a look at the first year and it seems to just be the same content as any old regular maths degree but in year 2 and 3 is where you do the educational modules so I'm optimistic it shouldn't be an issue
I'm not too sure if I'd be allowed to start from year 1 again if I'm already doing a maths degree cause then I'd have an unfair advantage

Your last point is irrelevant and if you are only getting 50% then it wouldnt be that much of an advantage. You can try but I doubt they would transfer you, maybe if you were getting strong 2:1s.

Quick Reply

Latest