Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm particularly struggling how to revise for my Government&Politics exam[AQA].
    Mainly, because every time I do some previous exam papers I got an E or even a U, despite knowing the content. I'm struggling to even understand what the questions are asking for sometimes, particularly for 25 and 10 markers, although 5 is rather easily since it's just a definition of a word/term.

My exam is coming soon and a mock for Unit 2 straight after the holidays, so someone please help me asap? I tried prechewed for the first mock as well as my class notes, hence me getting an E for Unit 1. I've got all the materials now, like textbooks, workbooks, you name it, but I'm struggling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaraam)
    I'm particularly struggling how to revise for my Government&Politics exam[AQA].
    Mainly, because every time I do some previous exam papers I got an E or even a U, despite knowing the content. I'm struggling to even understand what the questions are asking for sometimes, particularly for 25 and 10 markers, although 5 is rather easily since it's just a definition of a word/term.

My exam is coming soon and a mock for Unit 2 straight after the holidays, so someone please help me asap? I tried prechewed for the first mock as well as my class notes, hence me getting an E for Unit 1. I've got all the materials now, like textbooks, workbooks, you name it, but I'm struggling.
    Really study the marking guides after you have done your past paper. Think about what the question is saying, and how your marking guide wants you to answer it. Make notes from that to help with your studies. Really analyse the question before you answer it. What sort of command words is the question using? AQA actually has a really helpful resource - http://www.aqa.org.uk/student-suppor...g-the-question - where it shows the key terms, and how you should interpret them.

"Question keywords are also called 'command' words. These are the words in your exam questions that tell you what the examiner wants you to do. By understanding these command words, you are on your way to understanding your exam questions.
    For example, you may be instructed in your exam question to 'describe' something within your answer. If your answer 'evaluates' rather than 'sets out the characteristics', you potentially haven't given the right answer."

Take the time to really study it, and learn what each of them mean. Once you have studied them for a while, have another go at a past paper. You may find that you manage to pick up marks a lot more easily now that you have a better understanding of what the question is actually asking.

ReputationRep:
    On a similar vein to what @EmmaCx is saying, knowing the content is only really half of what matters. I'm doing Edexcel G&P (I'm in Year 13, sat the AS last year, got 100%) and one of the major aspects they emphasise is a sustained line of argument. I'm not sure the degree to which this applies for AQA, but I assume it does.

Say you're asked, for example, how effective is Parliament (broad, I know). You've got to come up with an answer immediately (e.g. strong at producing legislation, but weak at scrutinising it because blah blah), then stick to it. At the start and end of every paragraph, you need to relate back to your argument, whilst opening up counter-arguments just to show that they're incorrect and that you're right.

As my teacher says, you can't 'dance' around the topic, having one paragraph saying "some might argue blah blah", and another on "others might argue blah blah", then seemingly out of nowhere come up with your perspective in the conclusion. Your view/argument needs to be clear from the outset (i.e. introduction). I often find it easier to write the introduction after I've written the main bulk of my essay, so I can really clearly write out a short, snappy summary of my perspective (intros tend to drag on if you write them first, as you're thinking about your answer - especially for 'broad questions').

Hope this helped

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.